• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pet Ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikejhl

What is the name of your state? Alabama

My girlfriend and I had lived together for 2 years. I bought a dog when we moved into a new apartment, but she fell in love with it and said she would pay the pet insurance to the apartment complex so it would split ownership. We then shared the rest of the costs for shots, toys, food, and such. I would guess we both spent a total of about $1500 on him.

After two more years of living together with her, I moved away to grad school (we were both students). I let her keep the dog to watch because she had more time. We both verbally agreed he would stay 50/50 property. After two months apart, we decided to split up (on good terms) in September. She still had the dog, but agreed to pay at least my money back for him and said I could come see him whenever I wanted. At Christmas, I kept him while I was on break and even hung out with her. Before leaving to return to school, I had her sign a very basic contract that said he was '50/50' ownership. She also stated she would pay me back my costs when she got her new job. That was in January. She got her new job in March and has been working for about 2 months. We didn't really talk in the spring, but did email and text. About two weeks ago, I wrote her an email telling her how I had found a new dog($700) and would like her to pay just my original half back ($350). She didn't return the email and refused to answer my calls for two weeks. She then called me back recently and said she was not going to pay because she felt I should "just drop it." Her family is well off and she has a good job with enough income to easily pay me. She stated she was buying a new car and adding on to her new house. I reminded her we had a contract and verbal agreement, but she said I would be 'laughed at' if I even tried to take it to small claims.

People like this make me sick. Since I am a student, $350 is a decent amount. I have all the original paperwork for the dog in my name. I would like to get my money back and prove a point to her. Is it worth it?

Last edited:

Gail in Georgia

You could consider taking her to small claims court; you might not be the one who is laughed at.

You do have a contract stating a 50/50 ownership. However, you have no documentation that she agreed to pay you for her share of the animal.

She will likely argue that you gave her the dog when you went to grad school and since that time she's paid all of the upkeep expenses for it.

And, to be honest, if I were you, I'd avoid the argument about being a poor student in front of judge; you did, after all, fork over another $700 for a second dog. It's kind of a shame since there are so many less expensive dogs in shelters who'll never get a chance to have a good home.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">