• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extradition Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dank81

What is the name of your state? TN

I left the country 1 1/2 years ago when I was due to go to court on a driving on revoked license, plus am on the sex offender registry for statutory rape. I had the opportunity to go to another country to try and start a new life (I was into drugs/drinking, didn't have a license & kept getting pulled & arrested while speeding on my way to work--I know, stupid! -- , I owe thousands to the courts -- basically I needed to grow up). Now, I want to come home and do my time - I have gotten myself clean but miss living in America and being near my family. This is my question: my family is moving to another state and I want to do my time in a state near them. I know, since I'm on the sex offender register, I'll probably be arrested in customs upon entering the state (probably Houston). Will I be extradited? The sex offender conviction was in TN and I haven't registered on my last 2 birthdays, plus I didn't show up in TN for a court appearance on my last driving on revoked.

Another question I have is how to find out if TN has turned me in to NCIC. If they haven't, can I turn myself in up on entering Houston and hope to be able to go to court there?

Last edited:

FlyingRon

You need to resolve it in the court that you are charged in. You'll be sentenced in the court you were charged in. What makes you think that the entire criminal justice system exists for the benefit of fugitives? Probation transfers are possible, but generally not accorded to absconders. You need a lawyer in whatever states you're potentially facing charges in.

CdwJava

If you have a warrant in TN, and they have entered the warrant into NCIC with the intent of extraditing you from TX, then you will not be tried in Houston, you would be sent back to TN for trial.

- Carl

Dank81

What makes you think that the entire criminal justice system exists for the benefit of fugitives?
I read over my post and can't see anything that would lead you to believe I feel that way at all. I broke the law, left the country and now want to come home with my tail tucked between my legs, as should be the case. What I am hoping, however, is to get my life straightened out so that I can, hopefully by the time I'm in my 30's, look a cop or judge in the eye without being scared s___less. Yes, I'm a criminal, but I'm not a career criminal. I messed up my young adult life and fully plan to own up to everything. I believe sending an offender off to another country without family or friends around is the best thing to make an American proud to be given the opportunities we're given here at birth.
That said, can anyone tell me how to find out if I've been turned in to the NCIC? I am still hoping to see my family before turning myself in and if I'm on their registry I'll be arrested upon entering the US. I know my family would meet me in the state I enter in and go with me to the jail (selfish, I know - a criminal shouldn't wish to hug his mother before doing a long prison sentence :().

FlyingRon

You asked if you could be tried / sentenced in a different state for the convenience of being near your family. That certainly sounds like you think it exists for your convenience. Being able to "hug" your family is also not a right extended to fugitives.

Hell if you hadn't run you probably wouldn't be facing any thing more than a few days in jail anyhow.

Dank81

You asked if you could be tried / sentenced in a different state for the convenience of being near your family. That certainly sounds like you think it exists for your convenience. Being able to "hug" your family is also not a right extended to fugitives.

Hell if you hadn't run you probably wouldn't be facing any thing more than a few days in jail anyhow.
God, you're full of yourself! Being in a jail/prison system in any state is not a picnic. I don't think my time in is going to be easier or more convenient in one state as opposed to another. Wishing to have my family near by for visits IS a right I have whether or not I'm a fugitive. My family will want to see me and I hope to save them the travel time. You sound like a very insufferable person, so you may not understand families who can love a son even with all the stupid things he's done.

This website is all about 'free advice'. So far I haven't heard any from you - why are you even on this site? Maybe you should get a life so you won't feel the need to antagonize people who are here for advice. You don't know me or my life, other than what I have mentioned here and I did not invite criticism - just advice. Please don't feel the need to respond - you MUST have a life somewhere! Things to do, people to see, places to go??? Man, just get a life!

Just Blue

God, you're full of yourself! Being in a jail/prison system in any state is not a picnic. I don't think my time in is going to be easier or more convenient in one state as opposed to another. Wishing to have my family near by for visits IS a right I have whether or not I'm a fugitive. My family will want to see me and I hope to save them the travel time. You sound like a very insufferable person, so you may not understand families who can love a son even with all the stupid things he's done.

This website is all about 'free advice'. So far I haven't heard any from you - why are you even on this site? Maybe you should get a life so you won't feel the need to antagonize people who are here for advice. You don't know me or my life, other than what I have mentioned here and I did not invite criticism - just advice. Please don't feel the need to respond - you MUST have a life somewhere! Things to do, people to see, places to go??? Man, just get a life!
When a sex offending fugitive puts his dirty laundry on the net for all to see, he invites many different responses. The ones you got on your thread are tame.

If you don't like the advice you have received here go pay an attorney to advise you....For $300.00 per hour an attorney will disguise his disgust of you with "sympathy".

outonbail

Your questions were answered in the first two replies you received from FlyingRon and CdwJava. Everything from there on is a bunch of whining.

If you want to know what's happening with your sex offender registration, go to the Megan's Law websites in the state you're supposed to have registered in and look yourself up.
Here's a link for TN.

http://www.ticic.state.tn.us/sorinternet/sosearch.aspx

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">