• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Before I go to DOL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fullymooned

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I used to work for an IT firm based in NJ. They got some sub contracting work from a firm based in MA. I was then doing the work in OH. The work got over in Jan and I have not been paid by my firm (NJ) yet as the firm (MA) has not paid my firm yet and does not want to pay.

I am very close to taking my firm (NJ) to DOL

But this is something I wanted to know:
I can sue both firms NJ and MA in my state (OH) for money + emotional distress + extra + extra. So this way I get a lot more than my paycheck. Any thoughts?

mlane58

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I used to work for an IT firm based in NJ. They got some sub contracting work from a firm based in MA. I was then doing the work in OH. The work got over in Jan and I have not been paid by my firm (NJ) yet as the firm (MA) has not paid my firm yet and does not want to pay.

I am very close to taking my firm (NJ) to DOL

But this is something I wanted to know:
I can sue both firms NJ and MA in my state (OH) for money + emotional distress + extra + extra. So this way I get a lot more than my paycheck. Any thoughts?
It sounds as if you are an independent contractor and not an employee. If that is true, than the DOL isn't going to help you. Taking them to small claims would the route. Anyone can sue anybody for anything. Whether you you win or not is the key. I highly doubt you would get anything for emtional distress or + +

fullymooned

No, Let me explain again

I used to be employed by firm (NJ) until Jan. I quit the firm in Jan.

From July 2007 to Jan 2008 I was working for firm (NJ) that was sub contracting for firm (MA). And firm (MA) is not paying my firm (NJ) so they are not paying me.

So I can easily take firm (NJ) to DOL and they would take care of it.

But I am wondering if I can take both NJ and MA firms to court in OH and ask for a lot more money. Well what else could I ask for besides paycheck? That would be my other q.

mlane58

No, Let me explain again

I used to be employed by firm (NJ) until Jan. I quit the firm in Jan.

From July 2007 to Jan 2008 I was working for firm (NJ) that was sub contracting for firm (MA). And firm (MA) is not paying my firm (NJ) so they are not paying me.

So I can easily take firm (NJ) to DOL and they would take care of it.

But I am wondering if I can take both NJ and MA firms to court in OH and ask for a lot more money. Well what else could I ask for besides paycheck? That would be my other q.
DOL won't entertain any claims on the MA company, that sounds like it would fall under contract law with the company in NJ. I really don't know what you think you can get out of either company beyond lost wages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">