• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bad roommate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Leena78

I live in the state of FL.

I hope someone can give me some - ANY advice here!!!

OK so here is the deal - my boyfriend and I have been living together for 2 years now. Recently a friend of ours had been having financial problems and we extended a helping hand to him for 3 months and allowed him to live in our home for 3 months - rent/bill free.
During that time, everything was fine. Minor problems here and there but that always happens when you try a new living arrangement. When this guy moved into our home, he was well aware of our 'quirks'... ex. lock the doors, dont let the dogs run out the door, clean up after yourself, etc etc etc... just the basics that any person with any consideration for the next guy would do especially when someone is helping you out the way we did...

so our lease ended and we all decided to move and go in on a new lease together (at that point he was to begin paying the bills). Once we moved we realized what a deadbeat roommate this guy was. He has a major problem locking the doors when he leaves (cause he claims he is 6'2" and no one will mess with him anyway, even though I myself am only 5'1" and have a problem with the doors being unlocked in S FL).... he uses our things and doesnt put them back and we have to search for them, sometimes we cant even find them, sometimes we have to just replace things... (he has an opposite work schedule than us so its not often that we even see him)...

Basically we just arent meshing well as roommates. which is kind of not fair because he acted like he was fine with the way we were while he wasnt paying bills, and he couldve told us BEFORE signing a year lease that he was annoyed with our 'quirks and rules' and he didnt have to sign any lease, and we all would still be friends...

anyway, he hasnt paid a DIME into this new house. even though he is on the lease. My BF and I put up all the money and he is supposed to pay us back.

He is starting to do things to spite us and has flat out admitted it to us. I am worried that he will do something to our personal property (we have over $10K in computer equipment in our home) or I am worried that he will 'accidentally' leave the door open and leave the house and my dogs will run the neighborhood (which has happened in the past) & get hurt...

So my question is, since he hasnt paid anything to actually live here yet, is there a way we can get him out? He is on the lease and thats where Im getting snagged.
I have already told him the living arrangement isnt working and he can either move out or find 2 roommates and we will move out but he will not take initiative to do anything...not look for a roommate nor will he move out..

I guess im wondering if we were to move his stuff outside and change the locks, could he take legal action against us?? Is the only thing I can do is wait out the lease and take him to court if he hasnt reimbursed us yet?... any advice is going to be helpful... THANKS SO MUCH!

Hot Topic

If you change the locks, he can sue you. And he'll win. If you put his possessions out, he can sue you. And he'll win.

You have to go to court to evict him.

You let the guy live for free with you, then you expected him to start paying his share of the new lease. When did his financial problems - the ones that caused you to offer to let him move in with you in the first place - magically disappear?

As he leaves, he'll probably yell, "So long, suckers!," then set up housekeeping with another "benefactor."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">