• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deadbeat Dad re-appears to take daughter's estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thirdlittlepig

What is the name of your state? NJ

My father ditched out on my sister and I when we were children, didn't support us,
didn't take care of us, had little to do with us. My sister never got over it. She
suffered from mental illness and depression that led to her death (without a legal
will) by drug overdose a year ago at the age of 46. She had no children.

Graduations, weddings, birthdays, not even her funeral drew our father out until now.
It seems that my sister's estate is worth about $200,000.00 and he has taken his
place as sole heir, thereby stealing her estate from her nephews, my children. He
contributed nothing to her estate. She worked her own way through college even
though the divorce agreement said he had to pay for it. This little fortune was our
mother's before hers and our mother's father's before that. It should stay in the
family. We are poor and Dad is well to do. He doesn't need the money at all, its just
one more thing to take from his children.

It seems to me that he forfieted his right to claim himself an heir when he turned
his back on us, let us go hungry and homeless as children. I hired a lawyer to
try to negotiate with him but that didn't pan out. I really need someone who knows
what to do in this situation.

Last edited:

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? NJ

My father ditched out on my sister and I when we were children, didn't support us,
didn't take care of us, had little to do with us. My sister never got over it. She
suffered from mental illness and depression that led to her death (without a legal
will) by drug overdose a year ago at the age of 46. She had no children.

Graduations, weddings, birthdays, not even her funeral drew our father out until now.
It seems that my sister's estate is worth about $200,000.00 and he has taken his
place as sole heir, thereby stealing her estate from her nephews, my children. He
contributed nothing to her estate. She worked her own way through college even
though the divorce agreement said he had to pay for it. This little fortune was our
mother's before hers and our mother's father's before that. It should stay in the
family. We are poor and Dad is well to do. He doesn't need the money at all, its just
one more thing to take from his children.

It seems to me that he forfieted his right to claim himself an heir when he turned
his back on us, let us go hungry and homeless as children. I hired a lawyer to
try to negotiate with him but that didn't pan out. I really need someone who knows
what to do in this situation.
Did your sister have a will or did she die intestate (without a will)?

thirdlittlepig

She did not have a signed will. There is an unsigned will that is not of legal standing, it names three former friends of hers and an x-boyfriend, none of whom were involved in her life at the time of her death.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is nothing to do. If the laws regarding a person who dies intestate dictate that your father is the sole heir, then he is the sole heir.

EDIT:
It's not "stealing"

thirdlittlepig

Answers

1) Probate is open

(2) Child Support was awarded but it was in the 1970's prior to much of the
enforcement laws.

(3) So far my lawyer has written a letter and talked to me. I haven't gotten
a bill as of yet nor do I know what he will be charging me.

(4) Our mother died in 1982. There is also an unresolved issue regarding our
mother's estate which is that my older sister and brother settled the estate
without me. I was told there wasn't anything to divide but going through my
sister's things I have learned that in fact they took thousands and cut me out.
No will there either. I have a brother who was very abusive to me and our
sister. He was the oldest.

(5) I have not been notified as of yet of anything at all, as far as I know the only
court hearing was when my Uncle was made administrator. I asked him to do
it and no one objected.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">