• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal rental agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jhyman

I live in Greenville SC. I had a friend from Florida that was planning on moving to SC and renting a room from me for 6 months. It was a verbal agreement and nothing was signed. I had a current friend renting that room and he was told in Oct 07, when he moved in, that in June 08 he would need to leave in order for the other person to move in.

This 'friend' come to SC for an interview, she was offered the position and decided not to move to SC afterall. She told me she did not want to leave me in a bind and would pay the 6 months of rent even though she was not moving here. I have an email from her stating
"I know that it was my decision to tell you that I will pay you rent for the entire 6 months that I would have been there. But with this change in the status of my life I will not be able to pay you 350 dollars a month for 6 months. I will be able to pay you through the month of August. "

She is now stating she will not give me any money.

I have a witness that was part of a conversation with us where he heard her say she would give me the whole 6 months of rent, this same person was my room mate and knew he was leaving in order for her to move in. She made the decision to not come on either the 20th or 21st of May. Her move in date was June 15th but due to my work schedule I was unable to help her move until June 21st. My current room mate was told he needed to be out by June 15th.

I also have proof from my HR department that she interviewed with our department.

Do I have a case against her for small claims?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">