• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First time charge- please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pennylane68

Pennsylvania:

A friend of mine was driving home from the movies with 4 other passengers in his car (5 all together). Pulling out of a gas station right after a cop pulled in, he didn’t signal to make his turn. The cop followed for about a mile then proceeded to pull over the car. Asked the driver if there was anything in the car and he said “no” took everyones license- ran them and came back to the car with the turn signal violation ticket. The cop then asked the driver "when I asked you if there was anything in the car you said no, right?”
Driver: “that’s right, no"
Cop: ” So you wouldn’t mind if I searched your car because theres nothing in it, right?”
Driver: “Not that I know of”
They went back and forth for a minute driver kept giving different answers saying no, then not that I know of, none to my knowledge.. etc. The cop began the search, he found 2 bags and 2 pipes along with a wooden plate and dutch masters. He told the driver he could smell it. Obviously not true because they hadn’t smoked in over 3 hours, it had rained and the windows were left down in the rain. The cop proceded to pull everyone out of the car one by one and search.
He gave each person a ticket that said almost the same thing “found in possession of small amount, and wooden pipe rez’d out with no legit reason”
The ticket is marked as “ON-VIEW ARREST”” Charge of DISORDERLY CONDUCT Law PACC 5503 A-4.

So is this charge a misdemeanor or a summary offense?
What does “On-View Arrest” mean in comparison to "citation/summons"?
And did he infact have a right to search if he was only saying “I smelled it”?
Was the driver unsure of his answer the reason he suspected it?

Please help!
-PennyLaneWhat is the name of your state?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">