• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Barry8910

What is the name of your state? California. I recently did a search under my DL# on The Superior Court of Los Angeles website and found a ticket. I'm not sure if it is a parking or speeding ticket (Torrance citation starting with a M, if that helps). The question is they have the wrong spelling of my last name. It's the first letter of my last name that is wrong. Does anyone know if I further investigate this ticket with the court can I use the miss-spelling as a loop hole to get out of it? Maybe this is why I never received it in the first place. Thanks for you help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? California. I recently did a search under my DL# on The Superior Court of Los Angeles website and found a ticket. I'm not sure if it is a parking or speeding ticket (Torrance citation starting with a M, if that helps). The question is they have the wrong spelling of my last name. It's the first letter of my last name that is wrong. Does anyone know if I further investigate this ticket with the court can I use the miss-spelling as a loop hole to get out of it? Maybe this is why I never received it in the first place. Thanks for you help.
How do you not know if it's a parking or speeding ticket?
If it were a parking ticket, why would it show up under your DL#?
A typo on your last name won't help you. Deal with the ticket, not "loopholes".

Barry8910

Ticket

I don't know if it's a parking or speeding ticket because the info on the website doesn't say so and is was from back in 1999 so I don't recall.

Zigner

I don't know if it's a parking or speeding ticket because the info on the website doesn't say so and is was from back in 1999 so I don't recall.
Strange, I remember every ticket I've ever received (2 + 1 parking) and I also remember the one warning I got.
I'll ask again, though...if what makes you think it's a parking ticket if they have your DL#?

Why don't you call the court and ask?

Zigner

This is from L.A. Superior Court Web Site. Note - it references TRAFFIC tickets, not parking tickets:

The Los Angeles Superior Court Traffic Online Services allows users to pay for a traffic ticket, request traffic school, request a 60-day extension from the court appearance date on the ticket or a 30-day extension to complete traffic school, request a court date, check on the status of a traffic ticket by citation number of by California driver's license number, or request a Trial by Written Declaration.

occharge

I think Zigner's point is if this was a Parking ticket, it would have shown up on the car registration and you would have paid it when you paid your Registration renewal fees the year after you got it.

The fact that it showed up on a driver's license search would suggest that it is a moving violation instead.

Look like you'll be making a trip to L A as well, huh?

Barry8910

I pulled my DMV record and this ticket doesn't come up on it. It has a ticket violation before it (1998) and one after (2000). Could this be because the last name is speeled incorrectly? Secondly, one of the previous threads questions why I think it maybe a parking ticket. Could they night find the DL# easily through the car Lic #? Thirdly, will a parking ticket show up on your driver's record? If not, could this be a parking ticket? I'm reluctant to call the court for NOW until I get more facts.....reason is...if I never legitimately received this ticket and they slapped a Failure to Appear on me and then I call - Could they not use that to show knowledge/acceptance of the ticket and begin further actions against me? Thank you.

Curt581

I pulled my DMV record and this ticket doesn't come up on it. It has a ticket violation before it (1998) and one after (2000). Could this be because the last name is speeled incorrectly? Secondly, one of the previous threads questions why I think it maybe a parking ticket. Could they night find the DL# easily through the car Lic #? Thirdly, will a parking ticket show up on your driver's record? If not, could this be a parking ticket? I'm reluctant to call the court for NOW until I get more facts.....reason is...if I never legitimately received this ticket and they slapped a Failure to Appear on me and then I call - Could they not use that to show knowledge/acceptance of the ticket and begin further actions against me? Thank you.
Irony at it's finest.

"speeled incorrectly"

LOL

occharge

First, this citation is NOT on your DMV record because it has not been adjudicated yet! It will get reported on your DMV record once you appear in court and either plead guilty or are found guilty by the court.

Otherwise, if it is dismissed/or if you are found not guilty then nothing will go to the DMV...

Secondly, a parking citation is a non-moving violation that is issued and is connected with the vehicle's license plate & VIN#. Therefore, failing to pay it on time will result in it getting referred to that vehicle's registration and you will be forced to pay it the next time you go in to pay that vehicle's registration. If you don't pay that vehicle's registration for the subsequent year, I believe that the DMV's next step is to refer it to the Franchise Tax Board thereby connecting it to any state income tax refund that you might potentially receive in the future.

Thirdly, a "parking ticket" is (again) issued while a car is "parked" and hence the term "parking"... So to link it to a Driver's license would be wrong. I mean do they link it to the registered owner's D/L? Should they link it to his wife's D/L? May be to his nephew's D/L who happened to borrow that car for a day last summer?

Again, a parking citation gets linked to a vehicle registration.... And a moving violation gets linked to the driver's license...

The one exception to that rule is if you have any outstanding moving violations (that have not fallen through the cracks like yours & your wife's have), then they will initially suspend your license; (but since that is only renewed once every 5 years), the California Vehicle Code also allows the DMV to refuse to renew your (annual) registration to any vehicles that are registered in your name.

That should also answer your question as to whether there is some sort of link between you D/L # & your vehicle registration!

And last but not least, the only "knowledge &/or acceptance" of a citation that can be used against you in a court of law, is your signature on the citation itself!
That was when the officer (supposedly) pulled you over, (placed you under arrest), cited you had you sign the citation and released you on your own recognizance after you signed the citation and thereby made a promise to appear at the location shown & on the date and time that he set for you to show up.

But even your signature on that citation and your promise to appear is in no way an admittance of guilt. You are still owed your day in court...

If you don't contact the court, you can't see the copy of the citation, ..., you can't decide if that is your signature or not and you can't get rid of this monkey off you back...

Barry, trust me when I tell you that there are no loopholes, no tricks and no magic potion to making this go away! There is one course of action to resolving this and it begins by you contacting the court and asking them what is "required" of you to get this matter resolved and taken care of.

One last thing.. When you go to www.lasuperiorcourt.org you have two options to search for a citation; one is by drivers license #, and the other is by citation #.... (HINT: the spelling of the last name DOES NOT play a part in linking that citation to you.. Its your D/L# that bears the biggest weight! On that same website, you should also find some phone numbers for agencies that handle parking citation for different cities & municipalities. Give them a call and finally put this question to rest.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

First, this citation is NOT on your DMV record because it has not been adjudicated yet! It will get reported on your DMV record once you appear in court and either plead guilty or are found guilty by the court.

Otherwise, if it is dismissed/or if you are found not guilty then nothing will go to the DMV...

Secondly, a parking citation is a non-moving violation that is issued and is connected with the vehicle's license plate & VIN#. Therefore, failing to pay it on time will result in it getting referred to that vehicle's registration and you will be forced to pay it the next time you go in to pay that vehicle's registration. If you don't pay that vehicle's registration for the subsequent year, I believe that the DMV's next step is to refer it to the Franchise Tax Board thereby connecting it to any state income tax refund that you might potentially receive in the future.

Thirdly, a "parking ticket" is (again) issued while a car is "parked" and hence the term "parking"... So to link it to a Driver's license would be wrong. I mean do they link it to the registered owner's D/L? Should they link it to his wife's D/L? May be to his nephew's D/L who happened to borrow that car for a day last summer?

Again, a parking citation gets linked to a vehicle registration.... And a moving violation gets linked to the driver's license...

The one exception to that rule is if you have any outstanding moving violations (that have not fallen through the cracks like yours & your wife's have), then they will initially suspend your license; (but since that is only renewed once every 5 years), the California Vehicle Code also allows the DMV to refuse to renew your (annual) registration to any vehicles that are registered in your name.

That should also answer your question as to whether there is some sort of link between you D/L # & your vehicle registration!

And last but not least, the only "knowledge &/or acceptance" of a citation that can be used against you in a court of law, is your signature on the citation itself!
That was when the officer (supposedly) pulled you over, (placed you under arrest), cited you had you sign the citation and released you on your own recognizance after you signed the citation and thereby made a promise to appear at the location shown & on the date and time that he set for you to show up.

But even your signature on that citation and your promise to appear is in no way an admittance of guilt. You are still owed your day in court...

If you don't contact the court, you can't see the copy of the citation, ..., you can't decide if that is your signature or not and you can't get rid of this monkey off you back...

Barry, trust me when I tell you that there are no loopholes, no tricks and no magic potion to making this go away! There is one course of action to resolving this and it begins by you contacting the court and asking them what is "required" of you to get this matter resolved and taken care of.

One last thing.. When you go to www.lasuperiorcourt.org you have two options to search for a citation; one is by drivers license #, and the other is by citation #.... (HINT: the selling of the last name DOES NOT lay a part in linking that citation to you.. Its your D/L# that bears the biggest weight! On that same website, you should also find some phone numbers for agencies that handle parking citation for different cities & municipalities. Give them a call and finally put this question to rest.

Good luck!

:confused: Since when is a person placed under arrest, then given a speeding ticked, and then they are on their marry way? How does one even forget a speeding ticket?

occharge

:confused: Since when is a person placed under arrest, then given a speeding ticked, and then they are on their marry way?
Here's how a citation is issued (from the California Vehicle Code)
40500. (a) Whenever a person is arrested for any violation of this code not declared to be a felony, or for a violation of an ordinance of a city or county relating to traffic offenses and he or she is not immediately taken before a magistrate, as provided in this chapter, the arresting officer shall prepare in triplicate a written notice to appear in court or before a person authorized to receive a deposit of bail, containing the name and address of the person, the license number of his or her vehicle, if any, the name and address, when available, of the registered owner or lessee of the vehicle, the offense charged and the time and place when and where he or she shall appear. If the arrestee does not have a driver's license or other satisfactory evidence of identity in his or her possession, the officer may require the arrestee to place a right thumbprint, or a left thumbprint or fingerprint if the person has a missing or disfigured right thumb, on the notice to appear. Except for law enforcement purposes relating to the identity of the arrestee, no person or entity may sell, give away, allow the distribution of, include in a database, or create a database with, this print.
And when that citation is issued, the driver must do the following otherwise the officer has the option to take him/her into custody
40504. (a) The officer shall deliver one copy of the notice to appear to the arrested person and the arrested person in order to secure release must give his or her written promise to appear in court or before a person authorized to receive a deposit of bail by signing two copies of the notice which shall be retained by the officer, and the officer may require the arrested person, if this person has no satisfactory identification, to place a right thumbprint, or a left thumbprint or fingerprint if the person has a missing or disfigured right thumb, on the notice to appear.
Thereupon, the arresting officer shall forthwith release the person arrested from custody. Except for law enforcement purposes relating to the identity of the arrestee, no person or entity may sell, give away, allow the distribution of, include in a database, or create a database with, this print.
:confused: How does one even forget a speeding ticket?
Selecticve memory? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">