• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court Error Caused a DL Suspension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tatewacipi

What is the name of your state? Texas

The municipal court in Austin mistakenly reported a no insurance violation to the DPS TWICE - resulting in a duplicate violation on my driving record. I paid all the fines and fees on the first (real) violation, but due to the second, erroneous report, the DPS suspended my license, charged me over $300 in "surcharges", a $100 reinstatement fee and I had to get a SR22 policy (another $300).

I almost lost my job because I drive a company vehicle and my employer's insurance company learned about the license suspension BEFORE I did, and raised my employer's insurance rate over $1000 because of my so-called suspension!

The municipal court admitted the mistake over the phone and sent a "correction" to the DPS, but now their records just show I've "satisfied" the second charge -- NOT that it was a mistake in the first place! They are keeping my "surcharge" money 60-90 days before they will refund it. I cannot cancel the SR22 policy. I still may lose my job if I can't get the Municipal Court system to write a letter I can show my employer that says this was all a mistake! The Court folks refuse to acknowledge in writing that they screwed up and just keep passing the buck back and forth to the DPS and the contractor company that accepts their fine payments!

HELP!! Can I sue the City of Austin Municipal Court for damages and MAKE them admit their error in writing so I can keep my job????

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">