• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GryffinHall

Ticket for speed limit change

I just was issued a speeding ticket in Muscatine, Iowa. I was driving on a street that had a speed limit of 35, and once it hit the downtown area, the limit dropped to 25. An unmarked police car quickly turned on his lights and pulled me over. He gave me a ticket for driving 35 in a 25 zone. Is there any law that indicates whether there is a certain distance a driver has to slow down within a speed limit change? Obviously there wasn't a sign earlier that said "speed zone ahead" like there is on interstates and such. I also have a radar detector, which the sheriff I live by said was legal, that didn't go off, even though I know it works because it has went off for several marked police cars. He couldn't have been using a lazer because he was basically tailgating me for quite awhile, so I don't really understand how he knew my speed anyway.

FlyingRon

You're expected to be at the new speed limit AT THE SIGN. If you were going at a legal speed in the 35 MPH zone, there shouldn't be any problem slowing down to 25 in the distance between where you can observe the sign and the time you reach it.

If he was "tailgating" you, he knows how fast you were going by pace.

FlyingRon

You're expected to be at the new speed limit AT THE SIGN. If you were going at a legal speed in the 35 MPH zone, there shouldn't be any problem slowing down to 25 in the distance between where you can observe the sign and the time you reach it.

If he was "tailgating" you, he knows how fast you were going by pace.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">