• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Entrapment by New York City Traffic Police

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikkirn

What is the name of your state?
I live in New Jersey, but the incident took place in New York City between 44th Street and 43trd Street South Bound on 11 Avenue. I received a ticket that is not readable, but it seems to state that the incident took place between 44th and 40th, S on 11th Ave. The fine might be $90 according to the ticket. After 2 weeks the ticket appeard online and At 5:00 PM I was traveling S on the right it states that I failed to keep right. I still don't know the actual fine as I pleaded not guilty. According to the website, I will receive 3 points. This is what happened. I crossed 44th street traveling on the left side of the right lane South on 11th. I noticed that the traffic light facing me but located on the north bound side of 11th was green There was a sign on the right side and left side of 11th that said "Lincoln Tunnel traffic keep left." There were a few cones placed mid line 1/10 of the way downf the street. Then none appeared as far as I could see, at least 4-6 car lengths ahead.. The cars in front of me obviously saw the signs directing movement to the left, the large space opening to the northbound side of the strett and began pulling left into the northbound lane. I followed. As I pulled left I saw a polce woman who seemed to be directing me to continue, but the she signealed me to stop. She then advised me that I had crosse a double line into an oncoming lane. There were 2 cars in front of me and two to my left, all facing south in this lane. About 10 to 15 cars were entrapped as I was. I actually saw the police signaling drivers to pull left from the right hand lane and then they were stopped and advised that they had violated the law. Down at the very end of the block, cones reappeared on the midline. The space between the two sets of cones was great enough for 3 to 4 cars to move left I took a lot of pictures with my cell phone and can document that the light was green. The photo is time stamped. The cars in front of me, the space between the cones. Yesterday I was in the city again and when I returned, was able to photograph the signs beteen 44th and 43rd directing people to go le left from 44th on with the traffic light at 43rd on the northbound side bein green. This was at around 3:00 PM. I had taken the business card of two gentlemen who had been pulled over after me as we discussed going to court together. I emailed them the next day and was advised that they did not get tickets after all. I have an email from one of them confirming this. I belive that some people recied ticks, and some didn't. The NYC police came as there was a crowd. They said they could not do anything, and I should go to court. They implied without a direct statement that this was an entrapment by the traffic police. My court date is 8/8/08. I was in New York seeing a neurologist that day due to my due to a medical issue that will probably disable me for some time.

FlyingRon

I'm having a hard time understanding what you are saying. 11th turns from two way to one way at 44th. Are you saying you pulled left of the double yellow before you crossed 44th? Why would you think that was legal? Just because others were doing it? Looks like they were caught too. By the time you get to 43rd, there is no Northbound traffic on 11th.
I can't even figure out how you get cars abreast of you in a single lane. You're not making much sense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">