• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stalker

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Airman1947

What is the name of your state? NY

I'm not sure if this would be the best place to post my question, but please let me know if there is a better one.

My girlfriend has a problem where she is being stalked by her ex-boyfriend that she broke up with not too long ago. From what I understand, she left him because he was an abusive person and she moved back home to live with her grandparents as a temporary solution. She still has to drive near where she used to live, to go to work, and her ex knows where she works. Lately there's been a few incidents, including one where he was waiting for her outside her work place and tried to abduct her. He apparently tried to grab her, and pull her into his car. She got away, but since then he's been stalking her and following her with his car.

Local law enforcement says that they have no recourse to arrest him, nor too file protection papers, because there is "no proof of assault." She fears for her life and safety. What can she do?What is the name of your state?

outonbail

What is the name of your state? NY

I'm not sure if this would be the best place to post my question, but please let me know if there is a better one.

My girlfriend has a problem where she is being stalked by her ex-boyfriend that she broke up with not too long ago. From what I understand, she left him because he was an abusive person and she moved back home to live with her grandparents as a temporary solution. She still has to drive near where she used to live, to go to work, and her ex knows where she works. Lately there's been a few incidents, including one where he was waiting for her outside her work place and tried to abduct her. He apparently tried to grab her, and pull her into his car. She got away, but since then he's been stalking her and following her with his car.

Local law enforcement says that they have no recourse to arrest him, nor too file protection papers, because there is "no proof of assault." She fears for her life and safety. What can she do?What is the name of your state?
She can file protection papers without having to be beat half to death first. If the police refuse to enforce them, have her contact an attorney to deal with the police.

But quite frankly, I find it hard to believe that the police would tell her that she has to prove that she has been assaulted first. Violating the protective order gives them the legal authority to arrest him and a violation can be for simply contacting her or coming within a specified distance. He doesn't have to actually assault her to get violated.

I think she is misinterpreting what the police have told her. She files the protection order through the court system. The police enforce the order. If she can't figure out how to file the paperwork, then she needs have an attorney or legal aid organization assist her with the process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">