• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic School Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

some_dude

Background Info:
1. I recently got a speeding ticket in Milford, Michigan. The court is 52-1 District Court. The ticket for 30/25, but there is also a note indicating that I was clocked at 41.
2. I already have 10 points and so this will put me under review for suspension.
3. In 2004 I attended traffic school to obtain a point reduction on a traffic ticket.

Questions:
1. What are the requirements in Michigan for a ticket and the ticketed individual to be traffic school eligible? Do me and my ticket meet these requirments?
2. Do you need to enter a plea prior to asking for the magistrate or judge for traffic school? Do you try to ask the prosecutor for traffic school? Is there a strategy for negotiating for traffic school (besides the given "wear a good suit" and "be polite", etc)?
3. What I would like to do, though I do not know if it is possible, is try to negotiate for traffic school and if they are then I pay my fine, go to traffic school, all is well. If they are not interested in that option I will then ask for what I believe is called a "continuance" so that I can consult a lawyer. I will then pass the whole mess over to a good lawyer. Do you see any problems or possible pitfalls in this plan that were not addressed in answers to #1 and #2?

I appreciate any help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">