• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why so many PC charges for one incident of theft?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fooledagain

What is the name of your state? CA
I was trying to find out some other info on my ex-BF last year and noticed he had a new felony charge on his county record. He was already on 2 probations, one felony drug and the other is a traffic infraction misdemeanor (driving on suspended & failure to appear) I then found online the weekly "sheriffs report" in the local paper (I now live in another county so don't have too many details). Newspaper states that he was arrested, charged with grand theft, for stealing outboard motor worth $3,000 from a man that was staying at the campground. He was booked, released on OR and this case has been continued 4 or 5 times and it is finally going to jury trial (he pled NG) in July, and sentencing hearings for both VOPs "to trail trial". He is charged with 1 count each of PC 487(a) and 496(a), 2 counts of PC 666, 4 counts each of PC 667.5(b) and 1203(e)(4), and one of 1465.8(a). I am aware of each PC and what the number means, but is it customary to have 13 charges [why are there 4 of each of the PC 667.5(b) and 1203(e)(4)] from this one incident? 1465.8(a) is just "court security fee", but the other 12 are petty theft, grand theft, receiving or concealing stolen property and 9 of them are "special allegations". I am curious as to why so many charges and if found guilty, is he likely to get some jail time?

CdwJava

He is charged with 1 count each of PC 487(a) and 496(a), 2 counts of PC 666, 4 counts each of PC 667.5(b) and 1203(e)(4), and one of 1465.8(a). I am aware of each PC and what the number means, but is it customary to have 13 charges [why are there 4 of each of the PC 667.5(b) and 1203(e)(4)] from this one incident? 1465.8(a) is just "court security fee", but the other 12 are petty theft, grand theft, receiving or concealing stolen property and 9 of them are "special allegations". I am curious as to why so many charges and if found guilty, is he likely to get some jail time?
If he violated the probation on his previous convictions, those charges "come back to life", so to speak. It is those thefts that have likely been added onto this one. Now he must answer for all of them.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">