• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unlawful Speed Contest (NY)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HackAbuse

Hi,

This past night I was pulled over after a short acceleration from a traffic light. The cop only pulled me over, made a few rude comments to me even though I was very polite. He did not specify a reason for pulling me over. After taking my license (etc), he promptly returned with two tickets, one for "Unlawful Speed Contest" and another for "60 in a 40". The 60 in a 40 was cited without radar, citing that he was able to pace me from several hundred feet away when I was only a couple hundred feet from the stoplight, a distance which would have been impossible for my car to achieve that speed. (I admit I accelerated to about 45-50mph, I don't like to speed).

After handing me the tickets, he made a couple more rude comments and accusations before leaving.

Today is my 19th birthday. I live alone, I'm a full time student (paid with student loans) and I pay for my apartment with a single job (I make roughly $120 a week after union dues and taxes.) I understand that an "Unlawful Speed Contest" is a misdemeanor, and a conviction means I automatically have my license suspended.

What can I do? I honestly don't have any disposable income to afford a lawyer. I don't have anything to sell to pay for tickets. I can't afford to lose my license as I have to pay for my apartment and food. My job is 14 miles away and it's a daily commute. I've only had one prior speeding ticket about two years ago, which was reduced.

At this point I feel that the only course of action I can take is to write a letter to the DA explaining my situation, and quite literally throw myself at his mercy :(

JETX

What can I do?
Very simple. Show up in court on the date/time ordered and present your defense to the citations.

At this point I feel that the only course of action I can take is to write a letter to the DA explaining my situation, and quite literally throw myself at his mercy
Do that when you show up in court.

HackAbuse

Do that when you show up in court.
Thanks, but wouldn't it make sense to write a letter beforehand?

Sorry, I've never been to court before and I don't know what to expect.

Based on your previous experiences, do you think there's a possibility they may show mercy?

JETX

Thanks, but wouldn't it make sense to write a letter beforehand?
No. The prosecutor is NOT your friend and really doesn't care what your excuses might be. His ONLY concern is whether he has sufficient evidence to support the charge. He does.

do you think there's a possibility they may show mercy?
Absent some HUGE benefit that you bring to the court, no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">