• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP with Wrongful Death suit Please!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

trikerjon

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum to ask this but.....here goes. My sister retainded an attorney in a wrongful death lawsuit in behalf of my mother who died in the nursing home here in Oklahoma, she initially tried ot originate the suit for herself only but the attorney advised her that ALL the sibblings would have to take part in the suit, which the rest of us kids did sign some papers, now my question is this, we have NO contract whatsoever merely 2 pages, one with a list of all of our personal addresses, the other with a one short paragraph stating that we (the rest of us kids) agree to let him (the attorney) to handle the case, she on the other hand has approximately 20-30 pages in her contract, because I read part of it but she don't want us to have a copy of it...... the attorney Refuses to give us a copy of this contract, what I need to know, would it be possible for her and my older sister to have a seperate suit for just them and the rest of us kids on a seperate suit? One more question, can someone tell me or give me a link to where I can search the Public Legal records to find out extactly what complaints were field in behalf of my mothers case? I would certainly appreciate any advice and/or help with this matter, Thank You........John

[Edited by trikerjon on 02-09-2001 at 12:39 AM]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

The attorney is correct . . . all sibblings must be named in the lawsuit.

You'll need to contact the clerk of the court where the complaint is filed to obtain a copy. As a matter of fact, you can obtain a copy of the entire court file. You'll need to pay for the service.

I have a suggestion : Contact an Attorney Service in the State where the filing took place. Have them go to the court for you, and make copies of the file. You can call an attorney nearest to where your sister's attorney is located, and ask that law office for the name and number of their Attorney Service, and call that Service to make arrangements.

Very few courts in these United States post filings on the Internet - - and those that do, are invariably pay sites.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

T

trikerjon

I appreciate the info

Thanks for your quick reply and yes I searched the particular court clerks office on the net, I found they do not post a searchable database online, and yes I intend to obtain a copy of the court filings too. I suppose if there are more then one suit filed it will be in the court records unless she filed it another court or county, Thanks again.........John

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">