• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to yield to pedestrian in crosswalk.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mdaia313

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Situation:

On a busy intersection without any traffic light with only a right turn available as traffic runs in the oposite direction past the intersection and there's no left turn. With turn signal on as well as seatbelt I came to a stop and made the right turn, despite there being no stop sign. When I did so, two pedestrians were approaching the crosswalk on the left but had not left the sidewalk. On the right, one pedestrian was just getting off the sidewalk passing the line of cabs which are set off from traffic by deviders.

After making the turn I came to a stop waiting for a trafic signal to let the flow resume. An officer on foot stopped me just as I was about to move, as if he couldn't find anyone to stop and pulled me over, informing me of the violation above. Immediately I pointed out the crosswalk was not only clear of pedestrians when I turned, the people who turned behind me had actually failed to yield to pedestrians as they WERE on the crosswalk by then.

I can't afford any points, insurance rates in NJ are disgusting as is, and would like to avoid hiring a lawyer. But if this is too risky to fight on my own, I'll go that route. I am thinking of having a camera installed in my vehicle, the cops in Hoboken love doing this sort of stop. It was certainly a case of pulling people over to send a message, but as far I can see, I have been wrongfully charged.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">