• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brother's soon-to-be EX letting random male friends ride his motorcycle w/o permits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nigolnikufesin

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I wasn't really sure where to put this as it is related to my brother's upcomming divorce, but the root issue is the fact this his soon-to-be ex-wife has taken off of one of his motorcycles that is financed, insured, and registered in HIS NAME ONLY and letting her various male friends ride it. Luckily we have a good source of information who has seen other people riding it and he also found out that she is hiding it in a guys garage.

Here is the problem: I'm not sure about the other 49 states, but from what I understand in Indiana if a person is pulled over on a motorcycle and they do not have an endorsement or a temporary permit, the actual owner is fined, the bike is impounded, etc. A friend of ours has been been playing both sides of the fence and has seen with his own eyes various guys riding my brother's bike and when its not being ridden she is hiding it in someone's garage. On top of that, his soon-to-be EX rides like an idiot herself.

I understand that technically anything purchased after marriage is considered 50/50, however the bike is financed, registered, and insured ONLY in my brother's name. If one of these guys she's been doing on the side and has been letting ride the bike gets stopped by police, wrecks, or anything else it will come back on my brother and she will not be held responsible.

He is wanting her to take the bike eventually in the divorce and have a clause in there about refinancing in X-number of days, etc. , but the problem is that 60-90 days is a lot of time for her or someone else to be pulled over on it, wreck it, etc. and leave him financially responsible for a mangled paperweight of a motorcycle or paying fines because they don't hold endorsements or permits. He would like to get it back in the meantime so that when time for the divorce comes, she can get it refinanced, registered, and insured in her name and then she can let whoever she wants ride it. But for now, he would like to know where its at and that he's not going to get nailed with fines or impound charges.

The local police told him that there is some sort of document he could have prepared by a lawyer stating that the bike is his property, etc. and that would be the only way they could forcibly take the bike back. Otherwise, it is a "civil issue" and they won't have anything to do with it.

Any other options?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">