• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Urgent - Court In 2 Days!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Guitari

What is the name of your state? Richmond, VA

I have court in 2 days i need help! I got caught reckless driving (im innocent but he put it down as 85/65 and i was only going 80 at max.

anyways, i took the car to a certified speedometer shop and stuff. my question is if the judge will double check the paper work and call the shop if he think that the paperwork is not legit. and lets say if a few numbers got changed around, what will happen? how would he know? thanks

and can someone explain the court process for this. this is my first ticket and im freaking out! please someone give me good information and dont tell me "next time dont speed.. or shame on you" or any bullcrap. please im asking for advice not a lecture.

occharge

What is the name of your state? Richmond, VA

I have court in 2 days i need help! I got caught reckless driving (im innocent but he put it down as 85/65 and i was only going 80 at max.

anyways, i took the car to a certified speedometer shop and stuff. my question is if the judge will double check the paper work and call the shop if he think that the paperwork is not legit. and lets say if a few numbers got changed around, what will happen? how would he know? thanks

and can someone explain the court process for this. this is my first ticket and im freaking out! please someone give me good information and dont tell me "next time dont speed.. or shame on you" or any bullcrap. please im asking for advice not a lecture.
What court is this in? because the advice depends on the court!!! :cool:

Here's the best advice you'lll hear on the site (only because my guess is that nobody would even finish reading your post):

Don't walk into court with a forged document! You'd be an idiot if you do. :D But then again you're an idiot for even considering the idea... You should be ashamed of yourself!!! :mad:

(I didnt say "next time dont speed", I didnt say "shame on you"... and no bullcrap. No lecture either, just a piece of advice...)

Last edited:

The Occultist

As it is up to you to ensure your vehicle is properly maintained at all times, the judge will be under no legal obligation to show you any leniency just because you can "prove" that your speedometer was malfunctioning.

When you say you were "only going 80 max", that indicates that you do not actually know how fast you were going, and no court will look favorably upon this. Ignoring such a fact, an officer can still cite you for reckless driving even if you were only driving 80mph instead of 85 since actual speed is not actually an element of the offense, merely that, in the officer's expert unbiased opinion, you were going to fast for conditions.

If you have a clean driving record, bring proof of that to court with you and you MIGHT see some leniency from the court. Many attorneys will offer a free/cheap consultation, and local attorneys know exactly what the courts want to hear, so I advise sitting down with a few local traffic attorneys to see what insight they may offer, as well as what they say they can do for you.

Also, shame on you for speeding, and in the future please refrain from doing so. I say that, in part, because I'm a jerk, but also to illustrate the point that you are posting on a public forum, so anybody can offer any insight they wish, including opinions that you may not want to hear; using any amount of attitude on this forum may very well find you in a position where nobody will be willing to help you. You're just lucky I've had a few drinks tonight :D

FlyingRon

The speedometer dodge will not work in most courts in the commonwealth.

If you were charged with reckless (which this speed is) I'd highly recommend you talk to a lawyer. Your best hope if your driving record is clean is to plead down to a lesser charge (usually careless driving is used up here in NoVa) and traffic school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">