• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hiring a Lawyer for Estate Settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcn5645

My Question is : Isn't it much better/smarter to hire a reputable attorney in the county or part of the State where the estate is located, versus using your personal attorney who is many hours awya and not known in that county??

seniorjudge

My Question is : Isn't it much better/smarter to hire a reputable attorney in the county or part of the State where the estate is located, versus using your personal attorney who is many hours awya and not known in that county??

A: Yes.

mcn5645

Help!
Any advice then? My sister and I are coexcs.
She lives 3 hours away and I live 6 hours - all in same state ( NY).
A lawyer who specializes in transactionalk probate and estate settlement was highly recommended to us. Turns out we both went to HS with him too.
I have urged her to contact him - she has not. He has answered all my quesitons via e-mail re. fees, proceedings etc and has been very straight foreward and forthright. He is well know and respected in the county of the estate. I want to move forward with him.
My sister wants us to use her personal attorney who lives in iher county 3 hours away.

Any advice on how to move this forward?

mdconnor

My sister wants us to use her personal attorney who lives in iher county 3 hours away.

Any advice on how to move this forward?
Your sister should ask her attorney how much he charges for each trip to the county in question and how many times it may be necessary to make that trip. That should make her think.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">