• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questionable Speeding Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

firestorm

Massachusetts

I was driving down one of my college campus roads which is covered in potholes. I was behind a jeep which was going about 20-25 in a 15 mph zone. The jeep then hit their brakes and I had to manuever around it since it hit them fairly hard. As I went around it i accelerated as well due to the fact there was a car coming from the other side of the road as well. After i went around I got back into the lane and immediately slowed down to the speed limit. I then saw the flashing lights and he came up, asked for the basic information (license and registration). and then went to the jeep as well and gave her a ticket for $200 speeding (clocked) and I received a $300 citation with speeding (radared) and passing. I was wondering if i could do anything about this citation. I recall the event in detail, can describe all the cars that were involved as well as the cars that were on coming in the other lane. The officer also wrote down that I was white (which i am not), and did not have his badge number on the citation. ANY advice would be great, my hearing is tommorow.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, you were speeding and following too closely. What is your defense?

Curt581

His defense(s) are that:

1. The officer wrote that he is white, when he apparently is not.

2. The officer didn't put his badge number on the ticket.

The Occultist

If you are not able to apply your breaks to sufficiently stop to avoid a collision with a vehicle in front of you, then you were following too closely. Also, no law allows to you exceed the speed limit in order to pass a vehicle.

firestorm

what about the mistakes on the ticket, i mean i dont see how this can stand that strongly due to several mistakes on the ticket. I mean he over charged my ticket aswell. He clearly wasnt paying attention in detail to his surroundings seeing that this is standard procedure

edit: can they increase the amount of the citation after it has been issued? like can they increase it tommorow if i try to defend myself and fail

Last edited:

The Occultist

The failing of the officer to note proper ethnicity does not hinder your ability to provide a defense to the citation, and as such will not somehow make you not guilty of the charges as they stand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">