• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Penalty for mailing speeding ticket a few days late?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Smokey21

What is the name of your state? illinois

I'm at a loss on what to do. I got a $75 speeding ticket today, it says I have to mail in a check within 7 days. Problem is I am broke and I only get paid every 2 weeks and i got paid last week and I have nobody to borrow the money from. So I have to mail the money by wednesday june 11th..but i dont get my check until the next day..thursday the 12th. So I will have to mail it a day late..

I'm very nervous..what is going to happen to me? Are they going to make me goto court? I just dont have the money right now i dont know what to do..will they let me slide if it is a few days late? I just dont know what to do im freaking out. I dont want this to ruin my driving record but i seriously can't mail anything out until the 12th..please help..i feel sick to my stomach this is making me too stressed over a simple speeding ticket.

Last edited:

Smokey21

Have you tried calling the Clerk of Courts in your area to find out what can be done?
No because if they won't cut me a break I don't want them to have my name and know exactly who to penalize and watch for.

Anyone have an actual answer to my question?

Orcons

What is the name of your state? illinois

I'm at a loss on what to do. I got a $75 speeding ticket today, it says I have to mail in a check within 7 days. Problem is I am broke and I only get paid every 2 weeks and i got paid last week and I have nobody to borrow the money from. So I have to mail the money by wednesday june 11th..but i dont get my check until the next day..thursday the 12th. So I will have to mail it a day late..

I'm very nervous..what is going to happen to me? Are they going to make me goto court? I just dont have the money right now i dont know what to do..will they let me slide if it is a few days late? I just dont know what to do im freaking out. I dont want this to ruin my driving record but i seriously can't mail anything out until the 12th..please help..i feel sick to my stomach this is making me too stressed over a simple speeding ticket.
Am I missing something here? The check has to be postmarked the 11th and you will have money in the account on the 12th? Just mail it on the 11th, there is no way it will clear before your paycheck is deposited on the 12th. Or do you not have a checking account? If you have to get a money order of some sort you probably do have to call the court and try to work something out.

The Occultist

No because if they won't cut me a break I don't want them to have my name and know exactly who to penalize and watch for.
I find your logic idiotic. If you send your check in late, they will know. If you contact them ahead of time, there is a chance they can cut you a break and work something out.

It doesn't matter whether or not they "Know exactly who...to watch out for" as they will know whether or not you paid on time. Duh?

Smokey21

Can't anyone just simply answer the question? Are they gonna throw a fit over it being a few days late or not?

Curt581

Can't anyone just simply answer the question? Are they gonna throw a fit over it being a few days late or not?
Yes, there is someone. That someone works for the Clerk of Courts handling the case.

Call them.

If you're worried that they might find out who you are, remember this:

All of your info is already on the speeding ticket.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Absolutely - they will definitely have a fit if you send it in a few days late. Of course, they may not if you call them in advance.
(There, happy? :rolleyes: )

c6h12o6

There is almost always an additional fine for paying a ticket late. Although the answers you're getting on this forum may not be what you wanted to hear, your only real options have already been stated: a) Mail the fine on the 11th (take it to the post office to be sure it's postmarked the 11th) and make sure your paycheck is deposited as early as possible on the 12th or b) Call the Clerk and find out if they will give you other options. If they can't give you an extension of some kind, find out what the additional fine will be for paying late and decide if you can afford that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">