• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mitigating factor for Following Too Closely

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Scott822

What is the name of your state? GA

I was involved in a low-speed collision in which I rear-ended another vehicle. The damage was limited to scratched paint on the other vehicle, and the driver called the police. The police officer issued me a ticket for following too closely.

While waiting for the police to arrive, I noticed my front right tire was flat. I measured it at 30 psi and it should have been 44 psi. I didn't mention it to the police officer.

Would having a flat be a mitigating excuse in court for the ticket? I know driving with underinflated tires is a ticketable offense as well, but that was the first time I had seen my tire so low. I believe I may have punctured it that day. Should I pursue this in court? Or is it more likely to garner me an additional ticket?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How in the WORLD can you even attempt to justify/defend yourself based on your tire pressure being too low? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Shay-Pari'e

What did you do? Did you check your tire pressure at the moment you hit a car? It doesn't matter really, as you are on the hook.

Scott822

What did you do? Did you check your tire pressure at the moment you hit a car? It doesn't matter really, as you are on the hook.
Standing outside the car, I noticed that the right front tire was noticeably deflated, so I then checked the pressure.

The Occultist

Standing outside the car, I noticed that the right front tire was noticeably deflated, so I then checked the pressure.
That's going to seem fishy in and of itself; questions might arise such as whether or not you deflated your own tire after the fact in an attempt to use that as a defense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">