• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DA Rejects, refiling and bail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

susan90804

I live in CA. Two friends of mine were co-defendants in a case. Their house was raided pursuant to a search warrant and all the cops could find were two oxycodone pills. Both were charged will possession controlled substance and the homeowner got another charge for providing a place to mfg or store controlled substances (?). Homeowner bailed out -$20,000 and tenant for $10,000.

They went to court and it was a DA Reject, bail exonerated. The SAME DAY, DA refiled and bail was set at $50,000 and $30,000. They bailed out (ouch!!! 8% of $80,000) again. The case was dismissed the second time.

I know the DA/cops were acting within the letter of the law, but certainly not the intent of the law.??? Is there any recourse. Absolutely nothing transpired betweent the court time and the time the arrest warrant was issued.....they showed up in court, stable residences, etc....any justification for tripling the bail except to cause them hardship???

Any comments would be appreciated

Thanks
SusanWhat is the name of your state?

CdwJava

What recourse do they want?

If the state acted within the law - and nothing you wrote indicates otherwise - then your friends really have no recourse other than a complaint to the DA's office or the media.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">