• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Left Turn - Recieved ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oklahomadriva

What is the name of your state? OKLAHOMA

Violation:
Red light
23-110

My Story:
I approached a light, the arrow was green. As I reached the light, the light turned yellow. Feeling I could not make the stop without stopping in the middle of the intersection, I went ahead and turned. I don't know when the opposite light turned red, however I had a feeling that it had changed after I crossed the light.

The police officer had stated that he had "clearly" seen the whole thing, however, I have reason to think differently as I entered the intersection as the light turned yellow and the fact that he came down the street a good quarter mile and two minutes later with sirens blazing.

Sec. 23-110. Same---Red legend.
(a) No person shall operate a vehicle facing a steady red light other than to stop that vehicle on the near side of a crosswalk or at a sign or other marking on the pavement indicating where a stop shall be made.
(b) A person having stopped his vehicle in accordance with the above subsection shall remain standing:
(1) Until the proper and applicable green indication is shown; or
(2) A right turn may be executed while facing a steady red light, unless such movement is specifically prohibited by official signs posted at the intersection. However, such turning may be executed only so long as:
a. That vehicle making the turn is in the lane nearest the right edge or curb of the roadway; and
b. That person yields the right-of-way to other vehicles which are close enough to constitute an immediate hazard or pedestrians lawfully within the intersection or adjacent crosswalk.
(Ord. No. 2009, § 23, 7-15-96)
Editor's note: Section 23 of Ord. No. 2009, adopted July 15, 1996, amended § 23-110 in its entirety to read as herein set out. Formerly, said section pertained to necessity of signs and derived from § 20-23 of the 1970 Code
As I understand it, I was cited for entering the intersection when the light was red... which is ludicrous especially when the turn was a left turn and I would have gotten mowed over. Some one correct me if im wrong or please clarify the meaning of this section.

Also I am a bit confused about red light laws, can anyone provide any rules that govern red lights?

Should I pay the fine ($104) or go to court? Opinions? Suggestion?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You entered the intersection (ie: crossed that line) after the light turned red. You got a ticket. What's to figure out?

oklahomadriva

It was green when I approached the light, it was yellow when I turned.

Pretty simple to understand...

Could anyone see a problem with that such as me exiting the intersection when the light turns red, which has caused me to get the ticket?

Maestro64

oklahomadriva,

You have the right understand of a red light law, If you already in the intersection when the light turned red it is not running a red light, the problem comes about if you did not clear the intersection when the other direction got a green. All lights are required to meet the MUTCD standard which means all lights must be red for a period of time to allow cars who entered on yellow to clear the intersection. Some lights violate this requirement so they turn green as soon as the other direction turns red.

If you fight this it will end up going one of two ways:

The officer will state that you were in the intersection when it turned red, therefore, you ran a light. I found these so call "unbiased expert witness" that everyone like to refer to the officer as have no clue about red light laws or the rules that govern the operation of a red light. They think if at any time your in the intersection and the light is red you ran the red light, however if you read the laws you will see differently. So if he makes this statement you kindly ask him to read the law and ask to show you where in the law does it say being in the intersection when it turns red is running the red. As you know he can not, he might try an make excuses but you point out to the judge it is not a violation unless you cross the stop line after the light turned red.

The second way it will go is you have an officer who knows the law, and says you crossed the stop line when the light was red. So now it is he said you said situation. At this point you have to focus on where the officer was relative to you and his ability to see the stop line and your light to know it turned red before you actually cross the stop line. There are not too many vantage points that the officer can see your light and the stop line and the location of your car at the same time. Go take some pictures of the area especially from the officers view point. Make some drawings as well.

Any way all that matters here is where was your car relative to the stop line and when the light turned red. BTW, you are missing part of the vehicle code that talks about green and yellow lights.

mike_lee

always go to court and plead not guilty. Come back for trial if the cop is there he gets his overtime you get a roll of the dice, weighted though they may be. The cops are never prepared nor can they remember anything about most simple traffic tickets. If he does he's a good note taker or fabulous lier. He might or might not be able to provide a video depending on who it helps. Brush up on court room customs and the way a trial is ordered.

Pleading guilty right off the bat where's the fun in that?

oklahomadriva

Thank you for all the suggestions, I've questioned the officer. He claims to have been watching an opening of a store, and happened to see me enter the intersection when it was yellow. Even though the location was a good distance away, I think I am going to ask for a dismissal on the basis that from my vantage point the light was green, he says I entered when it was yellow and gives me a ticket for a red light instead of a yellow light.

How do you guys believe things will turn out or if what I am suggesting would even work?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">