• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long can police hold evidence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FleetAd

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I have some personal items that I need to get out of a household, which has been seized for "evidence". Charges has been brought against the other person. This case has been going on since November of last year, involves a minor, and occurred in a different police jurisdiction from where the minor lives.

Is it possible for me to put in a claim for those personal items?

CdwJava

You can put in a claim for anything you want, but it is extremely doubtful the police will turn anything over to you unless ownership is established by a court.

- Carl

Mikef6301

They can hold the items forever. You will need a judge to order their release to you. Unless the items are extremely valuable I would consider them gone. The police aren't interested in helping you or returning your items. They would rather auction off the property once the case has been adjudicated. You can hire an attorney to try and get your items back but you’d be spending money for an uncertain outcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">