• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being added as co executor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ronnie524

What is the name of your state? PA
Two days after my husbands funeral, I was asked to sign over a family member as executor and I did being that it was not completely explained to me. My husband did not have a will and I am sole beneficiary as we had no children. As time passed I found were no one would talked to me (mortgage co & ira accts)and everything went through the executor. Being that is is my life they are all discussing I decided to call the estate atty and ask to be put on with the assigned executor. I feel i was run around until I pushed a little harder and was told it would take 4-5 hours of prep work and the atty would have to present it in court. Two months have passed and we are about to file a malpractice suit for my husband but Im still not set as an executor. needless to say I havent signed the suit waiting to be filed until this matter is in place. I dont know if the estate atty is being honest with me, maybe she feels its unnecessary and is just waiting for me to sign off on the malpractice suit to tell me its too late? Is this normal and is there something I can do to have my name added as a co executor so I have a say in all the matters as well? I have informed the malpractice atty of my wishes to be add as an executor and that I was working on that with the estate atty, and Im assuming she will have to re write the suit to reflect that. I actually feel that the estate atty is not representing me and protecting the executor. What advice can you give me on this?

Last edited:

tranquility

You've presented no reason why you should be named a co-executor and no reason why the attorney committed malpractice. Avoid filing suit on either until and unless you have a qualified professional explain to you why you have anything resembling a case.

Dandy Don

What does your statement mean that you were asked to "sign over a family member as executor"?

If you do not have your own attorney you should seriously consider consulting one for advice purposes only.

Please do not delay the malpractice settlement--it is possible that this settlement money can be made payable to you and your children outside of the estate.

It is normal for you to WANT to be co-executor, but in truth it only causes more headaches because 2 people can rarely agree on anything and it causes dissension and fighting. Better for you to let someone else handle it--you can review everything about the estate after the executor has finished and if you have any questions you can resolve it then. Let the executor do his job and don't pester him with too many questions--they are trying to manage the affairs of the estate.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">