• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get a guardianship case back into court before the 45 review?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

newguardian

I live in California.

I was recently granted guardianship of my 11 month old great-nephew. His father is my deceased brother's son (whose mother is also deceased, so there are no grandparents on our side for my great-nephew). During the hearing, which was held four days prior to birth of their next child, I asked that my nephew and his girlfriend be drug tested (they did consent) as they are both addicts and the court wanted to find the truth of the matter. The judge asked whether I intended to seek guardianship of the newborn if the parents tested positive and I told him I did. Dad tested positive for several substances and has since moved out of state to get his life together. Mom tested positive for methamphetamines, but the results were not in prior to the birth of the new baby (it was a hair follicle test).

The hospital did a urine test on mom when the new baby was born and it was negative, so they let her take the baby home from the hospital. The follicle results came in one day later. After the baby was born, Mom did not go back to where she had been staying, instead she went to stay at her grandparents home with the new baby.

Four days after the birth of the baby, CPS was going to do a house visit and a drug test on the girlfriend. She left for the night because she new she would test dirty already. She is currently on probation due to a drug related incident that happened while she was pregnant with the 11 month old. She also admits to drug use while pregnant with her oldest daughter.

These same grandparents raised her and their home is at the root of the girlfriend's problems. The grandparents house is over-filled as they currently care for their brain-damaged daughter (due to a drug related incident) and her three kids in their home. They also have guardianship of the 23 month oldest sibling of the newborn whom they have cared for since the girlfriend abandoned her there at 59 days old. They felt they were the only ones capable of taking care of her because she is bi-racial and they did not believe anyone else would treat without some kind of prejudice. This all happened prior to us finding out more about the family.

The girlfriend's mother lives in a trailer in the driveway of the house with her boyfriend and their 1 year old daughter. The girlfriend's mother is her drug connection, according to my nephew and his girlfriend. The girlfriend has been on drugs since she was 13 (now turning 21). The girlfriend's mother claims to be a 'functional drug addict' and is often annoyed that my nephew and her daughter not 'functional drug addicts'. The girlfriend's mother is also on probation again, this time for petty theft with a prior.

The girlfriend's grandfather is currently on probation for spousal abuse and willful cruelty to a child (from 2005). The grandmother currently takes prescription pain killers to treat an infection because she has no health insurance and can buy the pain killers on the street (through her daughter).

During the ex-parte hearing for the newborn, the judge pro-tempre ordered that the newborn stay with mom until Family Court Services has done a partial investigation and home visit to both homes. I have no problem with anything FCS might want to do, but I do have a problem with the baby staying with her mom and in that household while it is being sorted out.

I have the 11 month old due to the physical, mental and emotional abuse by his mother, much of which was reported to us by the grandparents who witnessed the acts, but would not report her to CPS. I have reported that household to CPS on more than one occasion and they have not found anything significant to warrant intervention during the times they have visited. They actually have to see what is being alleged (and I understand all the reasons why), but this family has decades of experience dealing with the police and CPS. They know how to put on a show.

At the ex-parte hearing, the judge pro-tempre wouldn't even listen to the information about the mom continuing to use since the birth of the baby and that she was making calls as recently as the weekend before from the drug dealer's house (her mother was there with her - buying more to sell). The judge pro-tempre had only reviewed the ex-parte filings for the whole morning calendar during the ten minute break of the morning calendar.

How can I get this matter back in front of the regular judge sooner than the 45 days set by the judge pro-tem? I keep thinking there has to be some kind of motion I can file or something with an order shortening time, but I don't know. I have been using a legal document preparer to help fill out forms, but we don't know what form(s) are the right one(s) to use for this. I consider it to be an emergency here, am I simply overreacting.

Last edited:

Just Blue

Considering the severity of the situation you really should have ab attorney assist you on this.

newguardian

I would love to have an attorney help me with this, but I cannot afford an attorney. Trust me, if I had the means then an attorney would have been retained right away. I just want to save the kids. Part of me says it will be okay until July 14th and part of me says that one of the witnesses I take with me to each hearing actually saw this mother throw the 11 month old in anger when he was only a month old and time is of the essence. In fact, that was another of her grandmother's complaints about how the girlfriend treated the 11 month old (separate incidents)...however, her family does not want to stand up to her because they are afraid of her violent outbursts and what she might do to them in retaliation. They will make the frantic calls to us in private, but they won't stand up to her and they won't call the authorities at the time the abuse is happening. I was really hopeful that the judge might just lock her up under PC 11165.3 for using the methamphetamines while she was pregnant (throughout all three pregnancies, but this is the only evidence of a drug test done while pregnant).

If anyone knows what I can file to get us back into court sooner, please let me know. I am willing to do whatever research I need to do to try make the best pleading to the court that I can make (under the circumstances). I am pretty lost in this system and need some direction...PLEASE!!!

Last edited:

newguardian

I am new to this site and after watching the questions and answers for the past few days, it seems the probate questions posted in this forum pertain to trusts and wills (which is what I had always understood probate to be). I didn't learn until recently that probate also covered guardianships. Is this the correct forum for my earlier question? If it is not, does can you point me to a better spot? I am still searching for help. Thank you in advance.

BlondiePB

I am new to this site and after watching the questions and answers for the past few days, it seems the probate questions posted in this forum pertain to trusts and wills (which is what I had always understood probate to be). I didn't learn until recently that probate also covered guardianships. Is this the correct forum for my earlier question? If it is not, does can you point me to a better spot? I am still searching for help. Thank you in advance.
You received excellent advice from baystategirl.

Perhaps, it needs to be reinforced by OG factor. Hang on for a reply from her.

newguardian

Hi BlondiePB...please pardon my ignorance - possibly because I am so new to this forum and will hopefully catch on to the acronyms, but I am not sure I understand what you are saying. I know that baystategirl recommended I get an attorney, but as I explained I do not have the means to get an attorney. If you are referring to the quote listed in her reply to my post, I didn't realize that was directed at me...I do not know who OP and OG refer to and I thought it was simply a quote like some of the others that those of you familiar with the forum use as a part of your signatures. Please explain this to me as I truly am desparate for any help I can get. Thank you in advance, I appreciate it.

Last edited:

BlondiePB

You're Welcome

Hi BlondiePB...please pardon my ignorance - possibly because I am so new to this forum and will hopefully catch on to the acronyms, but I am not sure I understand what you are saying. I know that babystategirl recommended I get an attorney, but as I explained I do not have the means to get an attorney. If you are referring to the quote listed in her reply to my post, I didn't realize that was directed at me...I do not know who OP and OG refer to and I thought it was simply a quote like some of the others that those of you familiar with the forum use as a part of your signatures. Please explain this to me as I truly am desparate for any help I can get. Thank you in advance, I appreciate it.
OP = Original Poster

OG is a Senior Member who is an attorney (family law). Wait for her to reply to your thread. I sent her a PM.

PM = private message

newguardian

Got it...thank you very much, BlondiePB. I will keep watching and waiting for a response from baystategirl (and praying it the help we need).

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Here is the thing -- you are not going to get it back in front of a court sooner than 45 days. 45 days is QUICK when it comes to court. Even expedited hearings take 20-30 days. You had an ex parte hearing. Be happy the baby is with you. What exactly are you looking for? Permanency when it comes to your nephew? Mom will have a right to clean up her act and get her child back.

newguardian

Thank you, Ohiogal for your response. Even though I wrote alot initially, I was really trying to be brief so maybe I left out some things that would help people to more clearly understand what is going on. The 45 day continuance is when the ex parte has been reset on the calendar to be heard (now set for July 14th). This hearing is for the newborn whom I do not have...the mother still has this baby. It has not been my intention to keep and raise the children forever, I pray every day that both mom and dad will get their acts together so they can raise their children - even if they are not living together to do it. I believe that the natural parents need to be involved whenever possible.
In the separate case for the one year old I am already appointed temporary guardian for, his hearing for permanent guardianship was on calendar for the day following the last ex parte hearing of the newborn. Because of the judge pro-tem's behavior during the ex parte hearing, I objected to her hearing the case for the one year old. That case was reset on the calendar for July 1, 2008...and it is not the emergency ex parte hearing, so I know that the cases can be heard quicker than 45 days. I just don't know how to do it.

Update: The representative from Family Court Services was here yesterday doing the home visit that the judge pro-tem ordered. After finding out more about what that includes - and knowing that is all the judge pro-tem ordered - I am even more amazed that the regular judge would leave someone like her in charge of his courtroom in his absence. There was never any question that both residences have living quarters - ours is a new house and theirs has been visited so many times by CPS that it would have been known sooner than yesterday if that were a problem. The problem is with the people living in the residence, collectively and individually. Two of them are presently on probation for drug related offenses, one of them (a competing petitioner in the matter of the newborn) is on probation for spousal abuse and willfull cruelty to a child, four of them are known to be using illegal drugs (the two on probabtion for drug related offenses, the spouse of one of them and the spouse of the competing petitioner on probation).

Please understand, my own children are 18 and 22. I thought I was getting to a point of my own independence in life and my work allows me to travel whereever I want to go. I enjoy this, but now I am seeking work locally again so I can be here with the babies during this time. I had been anticipating the next few years with joy while I waited for my own grandchildren to arrive. This is not something that I had planned for my life and as soon as one of the parents are able to properly care for their children - I will stand up with them in court on their behalf. For now, I simply cannot stand by and do nothing, allowing the parents and the mom's family to mistreat and jeopardize the safety of the babies.

Thank you for your information, but I am confident that there is a way to get the newborn's court date moved up and I will continue to search for it. Perhaps I can convince the court that in the interest of saving their time and resources it would be better to hear both cases on the same day and time...which would move the emergency ex parte hearing up two weeks. If you know whether/how to do that, I would appreciate some guidance in that direction.

Last edited:

BlondiePB

Though The Sun Is Not Shining Once Again For You

As stated by CLT747, the OG Factor =
It almost never fails: OP asks for advice, gets the unvarnished truth from Ohiogal, OP gets in a snit and claims all the trouble has suddenly disappeared and the sun is shining once again.

This is a scientific phenomenon, and it should be called The OG Factor.

~CLT747~

newguardian

Good morning everyone. Thank you very much for your help and advice...I am not sure I could have got the date moved up without it. You guys are great! Enjoy. Oh, and as for the OG factor, I don't think so - I already knew many of the reasons/excuses it was not likely to happen - I was looking for help in finding a way that it COULD happen. I serve an awesome God and there is nothing too difficult for Him! Blessings to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">