• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red light ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aquarius73

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Please give me the legal definition of running a red light in Tempe, Arizona. I was in the middle of the intersection when the light turn red and I got a ticket for running a red light.
I received the ticket in the mail and have heard that it has to be delivered to you in person or it is not a valid ticket. Do I even need to respond if the ticket was legal?

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Please give me the legal definition of running a red light in Tempe, Arizona. I was in the middle of the intersection when the light turn red and I got a ticket for running a red light.
I received the ticket in the mail and have heard that it has to be delivered to you in person or it is not a valid ticket. Do I even need to respond if the ticket was legal?
What color was the light when you entered the intersection? Yellow does not mean go ahead an go through the intersection.

Maestro64

Most Likely this is the law you broke.

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/00645.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

If this is the section of the AZ vehicle code you broke, you will see it is say as most state laws state about entering an intersection on green, yellow of red. It if the light is yellow it says you must be warned that it will turn red soon. It does not say anything about not entering on yellow. It also says if it is red you may not proceed pass the stop line or into a pedestrian cross walk. No where does it say if you're in the intersection and it turns red you violated the law. Also if the light complies with the MUTCD which all states are required to follow, there is condition called all red when all light in all directions are red for a period of time to allow cars to clear the intersection.

Also some state have laws about blocking an intersection which means you can not be in the intersection when it is red, and the other direction has green, this means you failed to clear the intersection during the all red interval.

The question you have to ask is was the light red at the time you cross the stop line, if it was and the front of the car was not passed the stop line or cross walk then you ran the red light, If you already pass those point you did not.

That is what the law says about running a red light. There is a few people here from AZ and they can tell you the specific about being served in AZ for automatic red light ticket if that is what you got. It is my understanding the ticket must be served in person since they have no other proof you were ever notified of the infraction.

Last edited:

Ozark_Sophist

You can't enter the intersection unless you can clear the intersection. You may not enter the intersection and then stop to wait to complete your left turn or for traffic to advance.

Ozark_Sophist

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/00645.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

If this is the section of the AZ vehicle code you broke, you will see it is say as most state laws state about entering an intersection on green, yellow of red. It if the light is yellow it says you must be warned that it will turn red soon. It does not say anything about not entering on yellow. It also says if it is red you may not proceed pass the stop line or into a pedestrian cross walk. No where does it say if you're in the intersection and it turns red you violated the law. Also if the light complies with the MUTCD which all states are required to follow, there is condition called all red when all light in all directions are red for a period of time to allow cars to clear the intersection.

Also some state have laws about blocking an intersection which means you can not be in the intersection when it is red, and the other direction has green, this means you failed to clear the intersection during the all red interval.

The question you have to ask is was the light red at the time you cross the stop line, if it was and the front of the car was not passed the stop line or cross walk then you ran the red light, If you already pass those point you did not.

That is what the law says about running a red light. There is a few people here from AZ and they can tell you the specific about being served in AZ for automatic red light ticket if that is what you got. It is my understanding the ticket must be served in person since they have no other proof you were ever notified of the infraction.
If OP was stopped in the intersection when the light turned red, OP ran the red light. You can't cross the stop line and stop to wait for traffic to clear before completing your turn or exiting the intersection.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You can't enter the intersection unless you can clear the intersection. You may not enter the intersection and then stop to wait to complete your left turn or for traffic to advance.
That is true - but it is a separate offense from "running the red light". They are NOT the same.

aquarius73

What color was the light when you entered the intersection? Yellow does not mean go ahead an go through the intersection.

Thank you for being kind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">