• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

furnishing alcohol minors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

purerealm

This is in California. I'm trying to get this down to an infraction, and was wondering on the probability of this happening. This is in Santa Barbara as well.

I'm thinking about going with a public defender to plead my case but I have heard that this is a low probability case so I need a few 2nd opinions..

purerealm

This was part of a sting operation as well. A underaged decoy working with the police solicited my help and offered me $20 to purchase a 6 pack of beer costing much less

CdwJava

Speak to an attorney and see if he can plead it down. Usually, they will agree to no jail time and a fine only, but not an infraction. But, you never know.

If you can afford to go with a private attorney, you will not likely be allowed to go with a public defender.

- Carl

purerealm

I talked to one and he said he is confident he can get it down to an infraction, but I've heard that it's about a 50-50 chance that he can do it, now my question is, should i shell out 1500 for this attorney, or go for free w/ public defender?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's not a choice. You only get a public defender if you cannot afford an attorney. If you can afford to pay $1500 to an attorney, you don't have the option of a public defender.

purerealm

how do you show that you can or cannot afford it? Anyone can apply for loans to afford one... I am in debt, as I am a student, so if I have 1500, but am in negative net balance, does this mean I can afford it? Also, i wasn't planning on paying for it, my dad might be able to help me out with the payments for a private attorney though...

CdwJava

Your local court will have some sort of formula based upon income, debt, and assets. If you meet the right qualifications, you will have the option for a P.D. Note that you will also be asked to pay part of that fee, but it shouldn't be near $1,500.

And, not too many banks are going to loan money for a criminal defense ... if you lose, they may not get their money back if you go to jail. But, they will likely loan money if you have the collateral (car, home, other tangible assets, etc.).

- Carl

purerealm

my friend advised me to go to court with an attitude like i had done something wrong, but willing to be penitent, pay a higher fine and some community sentence to get the judge to have mercy on me and not put this misdemeanor on my record. You guys think this will work...? it worked for his drunk in public, with a public defender

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">