• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rytrump

I am in southlake tx and the other day one of the southlake cops pulled me over for going 45mph in a 30mph road. I asked two separate times to see the radar gun but he said. " for his safety he doesn't have to show me the radar gun" and "I don't have the right to see the gun at that moment" now I know those are both not true. so, what do I do to get out of this ticket?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am in southlake tx and the other day one of the southlake cops pulled me over for going 45mph in a 30mph road. I asked two separate times to see the radar gun but he said. " for his safety he doesn't have to show me the radar gun" and "I don't have the right to see the gun at that moment" now I know those are both not true. so, what do I do to get out of this ticket?
What you "know" is wrong. You are actually ignorant on the law. There is NO requirement that you be shown the radar reading.

The Occultist

OP, you are mistaken about the "rights" you think you have in this regard. As Zigner pointed out, there are no laws that require the officer to show you the reading on the gun, and if I were an officer, I would also refuse to show the readings out of concern for my own safety. Too many officer deaths occur during "routine" traffic stops, and the officer that pulled you over is likely very aware of that.

There are other ways to attempt to build a defense against the charges, such as getting the calibration records for the device, but the officer not showing you the readings will not mean a thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">