• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 year old sister

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Missy81

What is the name of your state? TX

My sister will be turning 18 soon, and I'm wondering if it's possible to legally adopt her at that point? I know that my parents will never terminate their rights to her, but thought that maybe once she turned 18 it could be her choice. The reason is that she's starting college, and my parents are not very helpful when it comes to doing the paperwork and stuff necessary for her to get financial aid. Also, they are pressuring to stay at home during the holidays and summers and I'm afraid they'll refuse to do any paperwork if she chooses to spend that time with myself or her friends instead. If I adopt her, she wouldn't have to rely on them for anything, and that's the way she wants it. My parents are currently separated and (hopefully) getting divorced. My father has barely even recognized her existence since he left the house, and my mother is going steadily downhill both mentally and emotionally. So, is it possible for me to adopt her once she turns 18? If not, is there anything else that I could do to help her not have to rely on them for FAFSA information and the likes?

Thanks.

CourtClerk

You can do an adult adoption. It'll be up to the court to approve it. Think of it, then your sister will be your sister and your daughter, and when she has kids, they will be your neices and/or nephews AND your grandchildren.

Isn't THAT a lovely thought?

Missy81

Thanks! Do you know whether this process would require a lawyer or if it's fairly simple paperwork?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">