• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another's Situation: Posession of a second License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SeekingGuidance

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I'm concerned about someone I know. They are curently 18 and were caught having another person's license. Mainly, I'd like to know what they may be facing due to their decisions.

Situation:
Someone I know whom is currently 18 was caught with the possession of a secondary ID (License, State ID, etc) which states they are 21. This license belonged to a friend of theirs and had been given to them for the purchase of alchohol. When caught, I believe they told the officer they had used the license when they were 17 to smoke tobacco (currently 18)...regardless the officer called the original owner of the ID in which the person claimed to not know of the ID in someone elses possession.
The person whom possed the ID was given a ticket, and been to court where the pleaded not guilty. Supposedly they were given advice to do this by a family friend whom was a credible lawyer.
The person plans on abtaining an attourney and bringing the original owner of the ID to testify that they had misplaced (lost) the license and it was to be brought back to them.

Question:
I've read up on this and reccomended they had pleaded guilty and taken the fines and take the possibility of the ticket being dismissed.
Now I told them that both of them involved take a risk of perjury if the officer shows up in court and explains what actually happened.
They told me not to worry and they have it taken care of, I'd like to know what outcomes they are possibly facing and the estimated possibility of the different outcomes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">