• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To adopt our 2 year old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

etta73

My husbands brother's wife had an affair and had a baby from that affair. She (baby) came to live with us at about 2 weeks old.(They are now divorced) She has been with us for over 2 years. We took the parents to court for Full custody and after months of fighting things the Father didn't show up to the last court date and we were granted full custody. Mom has no official visitation but maybe sees her once every 3 months, nothing ever steady either "if she can find the time" She never comes to our home but since we allow the bio moms family to see her every two weeks that is usually where she sees her mom. Dad has had absolutely no contact since we have had full custody. We would like to adopt her now and are wondering what are our chances? We don't want to stir the pot and have the parents get any visitation (They're not good people, There's just no proof of this on the books). Should we just lay low with Full custody? Thank you for your help.

Etta in NY

LdiJ

My husbands brother's wife had an affair and had a baby from that affair. She (baby) came to live with us at about 2 weeks old.(They are now divorced) She has been with us for over 2 years. We took the parents to court for Full custody and after months of fighting things the Father didn't show up to the last court date and we were granted full custody. Mom has no official visitation but maybe sees her once every 3 months, nothing ever steady either "if she can find the time" She never comes to our home but since we allow the bio moms family to see her every two weeks that is usually where she sees her mom. Dad has had absolutely no contact since we have had full custody. We would like to adopt her now and are wondering what are our chances? We don't want to stir the pot and have the parents get any visitation (They're not good people, There's just no proof of this on the books). Should we just lay low with Full custody? Thank you for your help.

Etta in NY
I would honestly recommend not stirring the pot.

etta73

I thought I would get at least 2 responses. LOL

So do not stir the pot - That's clear enough. Thanks

etta73

I was teasing

Well many times if the advice is perfect we are not going to waste time repeating. Adoption is a whole new ball of wax quite frankly.

No I understand this - Its hard to come across as my teasing self online I guess. lol Thank you for your advice!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">