• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption by Nonresidential stepparent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tschnd

What is the name of your state? Texas

:(I live in Texas and for 11 years have been with my husband. He has raised my boys one now is a adult other being 14. We would like him to adopt my son because I have reciently found out I have a brain tumor and if something happens we want to make sure he will not loose our son. We have tried for years to get his papers corect for him to be in the US but still 11 years later nothing. We do not have time to move to Honduras where he is from, me to apply for papers there and then the adoption also. Please any help would be greatly appriciated. And no my son has never seen his biological father this is the only dad he knows. His biological dad does not pay child support and only did for 8 months out of the 14 years of his age.:confused:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Biological father is the legal father? YOu need to speak to an adoption attorney. Get a consult. You very well may have grounds based on abandonment. Depending on when support came.

nilnisimalum

What is the name of your state? Texas

:(I live in Texas and for 11 years have been with my husband. He has raised my boys one now is a adult other being 14. We would like him to adopt my son because I have reciently found out I have a brain tumor and if something happens we want to make sure he will not loose our son. We have tried for years to get his papers corect for him to be in the US but still 11 years later nothing. We do not have time to move to Honduras where he is from, me to apply for papers there and then the adoption also. Please any help would be greatly appriciated. And no my son has never seen his biological father this is the only dad he knows. His biological dad does not pay child support and only did for 8 months out of the 14 years of his age.:confused:
In many states, if the biological parents has failed to support the child or has failed to communicate with the child for a specified period of time immediately preceding the filing of the adoption petition (1 or 2 years usually), and one or the other of these failures was without justifiable cause, you're husband may be able to petition for the adoption of his step-child. However, I don't know how his status as an illegal immigrant would impact this prospect.

I would advise you to call the probate court with jurisdiction in your county and ask them if an illegal immigrant is allowed to petition for the adoption of his/her step-child.

Incidentally, if I were an authority with the court, I would tip off the immigration authorities and have them arrest your husband when he showed up at the hearing. The law is the law.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
In many states, if the biological parents has failed to support the child or has failed to communicate with the child for a specified period of time immediately preceding the filing of the adoption petition (1 or 2 years usually), and one or the other of these failures was without justifiable cause, you're husband may be able to petition for the adoption of his step-child. However, I don't know how his status as an illegal immigrant would impact this prospect.

I would advise you to call the probate court with jurisdiction in your county and ask them if an illegal immigrant is allowed to petition for the adoption of his/her step-child.

Incidentally, if I were an authority with the court, I would tip off the immigration authorities and have them arrest your husband when he showed up at the hearing. The law is the law.

You do not know that he is illegal. They are in the process of working on papers she said. So we dont know if that means he is here illegally. He is just a non-resident.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Incidentally, as OG stated - you don't know that he's illegal. So maybe you should shut the gob and concentrate on your own issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">