• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

High school valedictorian requirements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jagw16

I am a high school junior in kentucky, and a certain issue has come up in our senior class. The requirements for valedictorian and salutatorian include the top grade point average (GPA), and a minimum 24 ACT Composite score. I was inquiring as to the legality of the 24 ACT Composite requirement. It has been brought to my attention that this requirement may be in violation of TITLE IX, as some have claimed bias towards minorities and women on this standardized test. Our high school informed the Spring 2001 graduates of the requirement at least 6 months prior to the beginning of this school year. There may also be other claims because of the cost of the ACT test, but if we get into that, then we get into the cost of the AP (Advanced Placement) Exams, which a person must take to get the 5.0 credit for that AP class on a 4.0 scale. We can also get into any costs pertaining to this. I would like to know whether these people have any legitimate case against the school board for these alligations. The problem is that there are three (3) valedictorians, and (3) candidates for salutatorian. The three valedictorians have a 24 or above, but the three candidates for salutatorian have composites of 22,22, and 23. According to the requirements, even though they all have a 4.0 GPA, they cannot receive the title. The title, rather, will be awarded to the person 12th in the class, with a 3.78 GPA, and a 25 ACT composite score. Could you please e-mail me any information you can find regarding this situation. I would be immensely grateful. Thank You for your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">