• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

probable cause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

almondnuts

What is the name of your state? west virginia-a neighbor observed an unattended child in a truck behind a house and called police. the neighbor/witness did not observe anyone in connection with the child and was unable to make any ID of any suspects or where they were. the child didn`t know where his mother was as he was sleeping when she entered the residence, the child had never been there before. it was march and pretty cold in the residence as the electricity was off, the child was comfortable, warm and sleeping when his mother entered the residence. the mother came into the residence long enough to take apart a computer table that was offered to her by the resident, 10-15 min. police kicked the door of the residence down after "knocking and announcing" their presense. where lies the probable cause to justify warrantless entry, search and seizure? there is the "what" (child left unattended) but no "who" did the "what". there is no "reasonable suspicion that the person may be the perpetrator" based on the fact that the complainant/witness merely observed what he thought to be a crime, not who he thought committed it. if the complainant/witness could not identify "who or where" the suspects were than how can police claim the exsistence of probable cause?
this same witness/complainant also stated that he observed a candle through the window of the residence as it was dawn and the occupants of the residence were navigating by candle. the police state that there was a report of "meth lab" but cannot provide an answer as to who made such report. the police did not observe a fleeing felon entering the residence or observe any actions by the occupants that would support a reasonable belief or suspicion that the occupants were; 1- the suspects related to the child neglect, or 2- that instumentalities of a crime were being or going to be destroyed.
the police rely on the report from the same neighbor that the residence was unoccupied to justify the warrantless intrusion, search, and seizure as they "thought" the residence was "abandoned". according to the law , the party that asserts that property is or was abandoned, must prove it by clear and unequivocal evidence. the resident was in jail for 1 month prior to the incident. police took no investigative steps toward determining the status of the residence or the resident, aside from an alleged report from said neighbor that "no one lives there" that cannot be produced.
the police kicked the door into the resident took him to the ground at gunpoint and battered him in the back of the head, he was cuffed and detained for several hours. the police tore the house apart, found nothing released the resident apologized and left.
no charges were ever filed against any of the occupants.
police never took any steps at trying to make contact with and establish any dialogue with the resident to determine whether or not the situation was founded as dictated by their policy and procedure. i am in the process of stating a claim against the city for failure to properly train the officers. the defendants state that it was the individual officers who caused the deprevation of the civil rights of the resident, not the city. i have to overcome the requirement of stating a specific policy or custom used by the city that resulted in injury and rights violation.
can anyone give me any ideas or similar cases for reference and research (SCOOTERDOG WHERE ARE YOU!!)-:eek: i am unable to submit anything to your profile...

Ozark_Sophist

Your post is somewhat confusing.

Is this what you are trying to convey:
A child was found unattended. Police attempt to locate mother. Knock on the door of the house. No one answers. Fearing foul play (why else would mother leave child unattended), police make entry into house. A house the police reasonably believed was vacant. On entry, the police detained an individual known to have a criminal background for their safety while completing a wellness search. Upon completing the search, police release individual, apologize, and leave.

I don't see an issue.

CdwJava

Almondnuts, just how many other forums did you go to trying to direct them over here? I saw your request on at least one other directing people here to these forums.

In any event, I will defer to Ozark's summary as I am too weary to try and decipher all of this. If you feel you have grounds for legal action, consult an attorney.

Also, "Scooterdog" is not on this forum - he was banned from another forum (and, as I understand, a few others).

- Carl

almondnuts

no issue??

did you guys read the post? the officers did not knock and wait for me to answer the door, after announcing their presence the door was kicked into my person, i was taken to the ground at gunpoint, battered and cuffed. there was no attempt by the officers to engage me in any type of dialogue to determine whether the situation was founded.
they are required to investigate and determine the status of the resident. under abandonment- no warrant is required to enter and search property that has been abandoned. there was no abandonment. what probable cause exsisted that gave them probable cause to enter, search and seize the occupants? the police report states that witness cannot ID any of the occupants in relation to the alleged child neglect. neither the witness or officers observed the occupants fleeing into the home. there was no crime and nothing that would support a reasonable suspicion that instrumentalities of a crime would be found or that said instrumentalities were or would be destroyed.
i have been representing myself pro-se since filing in district court 2005.
the court found by a preponderance of evidence that substantial 4th amend questions exsist, the judge asked that myself and the city and the individual officers reach a sttlement by the discovery deadline. i am unsure as to how to go about calculating a demand amount.

CdwJava

This is why an attorney is often necessary for these matters - he or she would know what a "fair" request might be based upon similar awards in your state for the same sort of thing.

- Carl

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please state what was "seized"...

Also, why can't you use one of your other 4 threads?

almondnuts

seized??

Please state what was "seized"...

Also, why can't you use one of your other 4 threads?
i and three of my friends were "seized" and detained for several hours before being released.

am new to computers as well as any forums or how they are to be used, please excuse any inconvenience i may have caused.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">