• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

restraining order/history of abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

anybodyknow

I was wondering what I should do about this. I have a temporary restraining order against me that was served to me a few days ago. My exboyfriend lies about me in reasons for the order. He put the order in 2/2. He states that I stalk him and I have physically assaulted him and threatened him. All of this is not true. On 1/28 he called me at 1:30 a.m. over 30 times on my cell phone and home phone and left several messages (three witnesses were at my house). I have proof that he emailed me an apologetic ecard on 1/30.
I don't see why anyone would try to contact their "stalker". I don't think that makes any sense; I think he is contradicting himself. I have never physically assaulted him, nor does he have any proof of this (hospital/police records). I also am a short skinny female weighing 95lbs, which I don't see how I could hurt him even if I wanted to. He is 6ft, maybe 140-150lbs, I'm not sure.
In the relationship he has been very controlling. I was not allowed to hang out with other men, even coworkers. I had to call him and tell him everywhere I was and what I was doing. He verbally abused me and called me derogatory terms constantly. He broke into my house (I have a witness). He harassed me several times by calling nonstop (I have witnesses). He has called my friends without my permission. He has accused them of lying when they say they don't know where I am. He has thrown me down stairs, against walls, thrown food at me and in my apartment. He cheated on me several times (at least six that I know about). He lied about the cheating and put my physical health in danger. He went to an illegal massage place and paid for oral sex. Unfortunately I never called the police.
At some point I lost it. I could compare myself to a rubber band that was stretched repeatedly until it snapped. I went to his studio 1/30 with the intention of giving him a piece of my mind. Instead, I keyed his car with "liar and cheater." This is the first time I stood up for myself, even though it was in a negative way. It is the first time I have ever retaliated. However, since then, I have not attempted to call, email, write or see him. I am not stalking him, nor have I ever, and this includes the physical assault thing. I expected that he would sue me for damages, and understand that I will have to deal with that. However I did not expect a restraining order that contains defamation of my character. He is also asking for $500 for 8 hours in the restraining order for lost wages. Which is ironic because he is unemployed. And even if he was, he doesn't make that much.
What do I do to clear my name and deal with this? The temporary restraining order court date is 2/20. Please help with advice if you can....

T

Tigres

Here's what you do.

Defend yourself.

Treat it very seriously.

Drag any witnesses into court.

Take ALL your proof of EVERYTHING with you.

Take anything else that he could bring up, however absurd.

If you can, get an attorney.

Also, consider filing for a restraining order yourself.

Tig

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">