• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need help with a step parent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

evansmomma

What is the name of your state? Iowa
My husband and I have been married for 5 years. I have an 8 year old son from a previous relationship, and my husband and I have three children togother. My husband would like to adopt my son. We have been together since he was two. My son's biological father has never been involved. He has recently begun to pay court ordered child support. I spoke to him once, three years ago, and he had no problem with my husband adopting my son.

My questions are:
Is it ok to ask the biological father to pay for or help pay for the adoption?
Is there a way to complete the non-contested adoption with out paying a lawyer?

Thanks for any advice!
Amber

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? Iowa
My husband and I have been married for 5 years. I have an 8 year old son from a previous relationship, and my husband and I have three children togother. My husband would like to adopt my son. We have been together since he was two. My son's biological father has never been involved. He has recently begun to pay court ordered child support. I spoke to him once, three years ago, and he had no problem with my husband adopting my son.

My questions are:
Is it ok to ask the biological father to pay for or help pay for the adoption?
Is there a way to complete the non-contested adoption with out paying a lawyer?

Thanks for any advice!
Amber
You want to ask your son's father to PAY for the adoption? Even help pay for it? You are kidding. You can ask but don't be surprised if he says no. He won't be forced to pay anything.
And you definitely need an attorney.

proud_parent

These two statements are conflicting.
True enough. However, OP would not have to prove failure to maintain contact / failure to support if the father consents to termination of his parental rights.

OP, realize that the father may have changed his mind regarding his rights in the three years since you broached the subject. Also realize that termination of rights does not automatically cancel any child support arrears that he may owe. If the father does not yet understand that, he may change his mind about termination when he does find out.

As Ohiogal stated previously: you definitely need an attorney.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Proud -

The point is that, even here, the OP is trying to craft her questions in such a way as to yield the answer she wants.

proud_parent

Proud -

The point is that, even here, the OP is trying to craft her questions in such a way as to yield the answer she wants.
Point understood. (By me, at least. Hope OP understands as well.)

Good thing that there are posters (such as OG and yourself) here savvy enough to ignore the spin and provide the answers she needs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">