• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

towed scooter--from right under me!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

garata

What is the name of your state?
New York

Hello there, I have a question that is a bit pressing (must send in plea!):

I was recently pulled over getting onto the FDR on my scooter and pulled over by a bunch of cops doing a motorcycle roadblock. He initially told me it was because i had "failed to merge" on time. he subsequently dismissed that ticket, but instead gave me one for the expired inspection sticker. But here's the kicker:

he called a tow truck and had the bike impounded! I said to him i thought it was only a ticket-able offense and he said no, that my bike could not be on the road with an expired inspection.

So fast forward five days to saturday, when i tried to pick up my bike, it cost me over $300--towing, daily storage fees AND they required that i tow my bike OUT of the pound to an inspection station for an immediate inspection. I had to pay $100 for a tow OUT of the towing lot!!! That was crazy, but this was a strange, "private" towing firm and they weren't going to give me my bike otherwise.

My question is: do the police have grounds to tow you for an expired inspection? i had everything else--liscence, registration, insurance. The traffic code that i've found writes that it's a fine--but that is referring to "parked or standing" vehicles. Do you think i have a chance to contest this ticket and get the city to pay for my outrageous $300 expense?

Thank you for your time...I really do appreciate it.

Yours,
greg

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, the police can do that.
You are not allowed to operate a vehicle on the road that is not properly registered.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Do you think i have a chance to contest this ticket and get the city to pay for my outrageous $300 expense?
Yes, you have a chance to contest. No, you don't have a chance to win. And, no, you won't be able to recover your (fair and reasonable) tow related expenses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">