• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you legally stop someone from beating a child in public?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Trygger27

A few days ago i stopped a woman from beating her child in the restroom of the restaurant in which I work. I did not touch her or yell, I simply asked her to stop. Needless to say the woman was very angry because she was "caught in the act" and complained to my manager. Now I may loose my job.
I'm not against corporal punishment, but this person was being physically abusive and was actually beating the living daylights out of a child who may have been 3 or 4 years old. Can I legally ask someone to stop beating a child?

HomeGuru

Yes and it would also have been legal if you protected the child by physically restraining the woman, then having the police called, filng a police report and placing the woman under a citizens arrest for assault and battery.

[Edited by HomeGuru on 02-10-2001 at 01:37 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">