• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name change question: need legal help and help with dealing with family...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AlexfluffyKunn

What is the name of your state?
I live in Louisiana and I have a question regarding a name change.

I'm 17 and my grandparents adopted me almost two years ago. My name has been the same since my birth. I'm planning on changing my name when I turn 18 in 5 months. My reason for changing: Simply hate it and according to my grandmother I'm religiously bound to becoming Muslim (Which I know that's not true or legally force able in America) because my name is Arabic. I need help.:eek::eek::eek:
Mainly I need help with what I can change my name, meaning I don't know if i can change my whole name, first, middle and last name. I'm changing my first and middle name because their both Arabic and I want to change my last name to my biological mother's maiden name, which is the same as my grandmother. I don't know if I can change my last name or not. If I can that will be nice.
Family help being that if I told my grandmother now she would most likely do what ever it takes to keep me from changing my name, legal or illegally. I'm waiting until my birthday to tell her. And I read from somewhere that family and friends can petition or have some say to prevent a name change, is this true?

I've decided to buy the name change packet from LegalAdvice during the summer, and have it ready to when I turn 18, but i just don't know where I'd take the packet when I turn 18.

It would be soooo helpful if i could get some answers to this problem.
(sorry for writing so much)
- Fluffy-kun

LdiJ

What is the name of your state?
I live in Louisiana and I have a question regarding a name change.

I'm 17 and my grandparents adopted me almost two years ago. My name has been the same since my birth. I'm planning on changing my name when I turn 18 in 5 months. My reason for changing: Simply hate it and according to my grandmother I'm religiously bound to becoming Muslim (Which I know that's not true or legally force able in America) because my name is Arabic. I need help.:eek::eek::eek:
Mainly I need help with what I can change my name, meaning I don't know if i can change my whole name, first, middle and last name. I'm changing my first and middle name because their both Arabic and I want to change my last name to my biological mother's maiden name, which is the same as my grandmother. I don't know if I can change my last name or not. If I can that will be nice.
Family help being that if I told my grandmother now she would most likely do what ever it takes to keep me from changing my name, legal or illegally. I'm waiting until my birthday to tell her. And I read from somewhere that family and friends can petition or have some say to prevent a name change, is this true?

I've decided to buy the name change packet from LegalAdvice during the summer, and have it ready to when I turn 18, but i just don't know where I'd take the packet when I turn 18.

It would be soooo helpful if i could get some answers to this problem.
(sorry for writing so much)
- Fluffy-kun

You can change your entire name...first, middle and last. Once you are a legal adult, no one but the judge has any say in the matter, legally.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">