• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No will/No exec - Transfering DRS Book entry stocks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davemerc00

What is the name of your state? Ca

My mother past away last year. She was single and did not leave a will. She did not own any property and the only bills she had was living expenses. The only arrangements she made with her estate was adding my one sister to her checking account to pay outstanding bills should she past away. Her small investments (401K; life insurance) had benificiary's named and that was divided between us 4 children.

Just this last Jan, my brother that would check our mother's PO Box for mail, said that a check came from Pridential, reflecting a pay out of dividends for 36 DRS book-entry shares (approx $2600.00) that were in my mother's name.

Computershare that manages Prudential accounts has given me different instructions each time I would call regarding a failure to complete a step they purscribed.

I just need some verification if I am complying to state law:
1. Each of her children will fill out one of their transfer forms transfering 9 shares and getting a Medallion Guarantee stamp; as well filling out a W-9.

2. As of 1-1-2005, California did away with state estate tax ( http://www.sco.ca.gov/col/taxinfo/estate/index.shtml ). I take this to mean that only a Affidavit of domicile will be required instead of a inheritance tax waver.

3. Would it hurt to file a Affidavit of residence, and if filed, would it have to be in the County of California she had residence?

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">