• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeff_bridges

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I just received my first speeding ticket a few days ago for going 83 in a 55. I have no issue with the ticket; the officer seems to have done everything right, and I was speeding. I haven't paid the fine yet. Currently I am 20 years old, by the time the court date comes I will be 21... since the penalties for this kind of ticket are worse for a 20 year old than a 21 year old, I have a few questions: is there any way I can get tried as a 21 year old rather than a 20 year old? I was considering calling the officer/prosecutor/judge to ask that I be tried as a 21 year old as a form of leniency. Is that a good idea or a bad one? Who should I call? If I could get one of them to agree to this, what would be my next move? Should I plead guilty, not guilty, or nolo?

Thanks for your time.What is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

Q: is there any way I can get tried as a 21 year old rather than a 20 year old?

A: No, but read on.

Q: I was considering calling the officer/prosecutor/judge to ask that I be tried as a 21 year old as a form of leniency. Is that a good idea or a bad one? Who should I call? If I could get one of them to agree to this, what would be my next move? Should I plead guilty, not guilty, or nolo?

A: Talk to the prosecutor only about a plea bargain to something that may be a non-point. But you must realize that at the speed you were going, the prosecutor may not be interested in working with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">