• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto search with dogs.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Russ Bower

Have the police the right to make me wait while they bring a drug sniffing dog to search my car?
I was driving through Texas, on the interstate, when I was stopped by Texas Highway Protrol officers. The officer said he wanted to search my car and if I didn't let him search my car I would have to wait approximately 20 minutes for a dog to arrive.
At that time the car I drove would vibrate due to an alignment problem and I would drive no faster than 62 mph.
I think this was the reason I was stopped.

R

Russ Bower

After I was told it would take 20 minutes for the dog to arrive I said it was ok to search my car. They then asked me where I was going. I replied to Sarasota, Fl, that I had an uncle who lived there, and I asked them why they wanted to know. They then said I could go.

I wasn't speeding or breaking any traffic laws. What right did they have to stop me, and did they have the right to keep me there while they brought a dog?

R

Rivy

The "dog" thing from what I understand is if you say "they can't search" then they have a certain alloted time of minutes 15-20 (I believe) to get a dog to sniff...if it's not there within that time then you can leave (probably w/a summons/warning/tkt or whatever else they can hit you w/at that time) But, don't quote me...I'm not a lawyer....I'm looking for advice too...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">