• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step parent adoption name change problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tammycv

What is the name of your state? Texas

My husband adopted my son from a previous relationship 5 years ago. We were young and didn't seek out a good attorney. We meet with someone who said he could take care of everything, so we proceeded with a step parent adoption. Years passed and I never received a birth certificate like he promised. I called his office and no response. I went down to the courthouse to get a certified copy of the court papers and the records were sealed. The other problem is that the judge is now deceased. How can I get my son's name legally changed? He will soon need a driver's license. He has been using the name, I guess illegally, for the past 5 years. Should I hire a new lawyer or can this be done myself?

CourtClerk

Do yourself a favor and hire an adoption attorney. This is way bigger than you, and way bigger than anything we can do on an internet forum.

The records should be sealed in an adoption, but you, as the parent should have access to SOME record of the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">