• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lkcoss

What is the name of your state? New York
My brother and I are named as co-executors on my mother's will. Can I decline and let him be the sole executor?
She owned her home outright (value approx 350K) and had accounts totalling approx 500K. She has no debts other than utilities which are being paid.
I do not want the house or any money from the house, my brother lives there and I would like him to get it in it's entirety. I want to decline that portion of my inheritance. Any problem with that?
Other than those 2 questions above the probate forms look fairly straight forward to me. Do we really need an attorney?
If so, what could we expect to pay?
Thanks for any help..

Dandy Don

Probate is needed so that the home can officially be titled in the name of the new owner. Yes, you can decline the executorship.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">