• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consuming alcohol in a public place

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zoeh

What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

This weekend my boyfriend and I were given a citation by the an undercover cop in a beach in Newport Rhode island for drinking gin and tonic in plastic cups. He wrote us up for 'open container' but the offense code was 9.04.020 which is consuming alcohol in a public place. We were offered a fixed penalty of $500 or a court appearance - and we were only issued one citation between the two of us. My boyfirend took it in his name but we are now concerned as he is training to be a pilot and to qualify for the medical has to declare any misdemeanors.

Is this a misdemeanor?
Also if we go to court are we likely to get a reduced fine?

Thank you

FlyingRon

He has to report it. The FAA medical form 8500-8 doesn't say "misdemeanor." It paints offenses with a broad brush. This shouldn't keep him from getting the certificate (provided he doesn't have any prior DUI/susbstance abuse issues) but he is going to have to explain it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">