• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NC Put Hold on FL License -- 22 Y/O Ticket ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Licenserevoked

What is the name of your state? Florida.

I reside in Florida where I have lived since 1982. My DL recently came up for renewal and today, when I went to do that at the DMV, I was informed that NC has a hold on my license thorugh the National Drivers Database. I spoke to the NC DMV and they told me I have an outstanding ticket from 1987, yes almost 22 years ago. The ticket was for $10.00. They have informed me that I owe $280.00 in late fees, court costs, original citation amount and reinstatement fees.

Can they get away with this? I was in NC during that time but honestly don't remember getting a citation. I am wondering if I have any recourse to fight this and if so what can I do in the meantime now that NC has basically revoked my FL license. I can't believe that another state can dictate what the FL DMV can do with a FL residents license.

Can they do this? Can I request proof of the citation? How can I fight this without having to spend a fortune traveling to NC to court. Can I get Florida to lift this for me ??

Thanks for any advice.

Maestro64

I hate to say this... Yes they can and they are obviously doing it. So if you want to get your FL license renew you will have to pay NC even if the ticket is not valid because FL will not release your license until NC says you cleared the matter with them.

Obviously it sounds like a parking ticket unless NC had really cheap moving violation tickets back in the 80's.

Once the matter is clear then you can attempt to get your money back if you think the ticket was not valid in the first place, obviously the first question is can they prove you even received the ticket in the first place. If they have no proof you might be able to get all the late fees and penalties removed, but I highly doubt it. As you are finding out the system is stacked totally against you, they are going to hold your FL license ransom until they get all their money.

The courts do not care whether the state can or can not prove you ever knew about this so called ticket, the problem you will have is proving they knew you did not know about the ticket. As some here are more than willing to point out to you it is your responsibility to know if you have outstanding tickets even the one you never got personally.

Last edited:

Licenserevoked

Thanks for the reply, the good ole' guilty until proven innocent. It blows me away that NC can jam up my license here in FL., 22 years after the fact, for something as insignificant as a $10.00 parking ticket. Where has it been for the last 22 years? I have had my license renewed here in Florida more times than I can count, most recently in 2005. NC must be HARD UP for some cash or something. And then to charge me $280.00....if someone other than the government tried to jack someone up like that they would be thrown in jail.

Isn't it possible to speak with the DA about this and get the amount reduced or something. I am blown away by this. NC hasn't even proved that it is actually me who received this so called citation.

Maestro64

I agree with you, what you ran into is the new information sharing between states due to the patriot act. So what happened is NC has had this on their records for all these years and could not find you and hoped you would return. Well they did not have to wait any longer with the database sharing. They were able to track you down via your SS#

If this is a parking ticket, and parking tickets are usually civil matter, and usually civil matters do not have statute of limitation so that can live on until your dead and even then they could have come after your estate if they so choose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">