• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extradition Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amberg

What is the name of your state? Colorado

Se here is the short and sweet. my mother is currently a Federal inmate in Arizona. Her release date is set for July 3. They are not going to let her out because she has warrants in Colorado and they have put a hold on her so that they can extradite her back up there. Im trying to figure out if Colorado has a time limit in which they can pick her up before the feds have to let her go. Someone told me that they have a 10 day time frame and if no one shows up to get her that they have to let her walk.:confused::confused::confused: HELP PLEASE!!!

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? Colorado

Se here is the short and sweet. my mother is currently a Federal inmate in Arizona. Her release date is set for July 3. They are not going to let her out because she has warrants in Colorado and they have put a hold on her so that they can extradite her back up there. Im trying to figure out if Colorado has a time limit in which they can pick her up before the feds have to let her go. Someone told me that they have a 10 day time frame and if no one shows up to get her that they have to let her walk.:confused::confused::confused: HELP PLEASE!!!
Help for what?

To let a criminal go free on a technicality?

outonbail

If she didn't fight the extradition, meaning she is willing to get on the bus or van heading to Colorado, they have thirty days to pick her up.
If she is fighting the extradition (useless tactic unless you are not the person who they believe you are) then they have ninety days to go through the extradition process.

If they did in fact place a hold on her, then she is most likely facing one or more felony charges.
Hence, I'd say the chances of them picking her up are roughly 97%, which leaves her with about a 3% chance of being released from the Federal prison and out into the public.

Even if she were lucky enough to be one of the three percent that slipped through the cracks, she would still have an outstanding warrant and whenever she is contacted by law enforcement and they run her name, she will be pulled in to wait another thirty days.

I don't know how much time she did in Federal custody, but depending on whether she has been sentenced in Co already or not, it may have been possible for her to have contacted Co when she was first incarcerated in the Fed pen and request that her Co sentence and Fed sentence run concurrently.

Of course it is too late to make this happen now, but when she's in this situation again, it's something to consider.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">